1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with magnets? the bass I bought on eBay is janked.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DanAdams, Apr 5, 2015.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I love 80s Roadstar basses so I couldn't pass up a good deal on the deluxe Ibanez rb760 but problems became apparent when I plugged it in. Loud hum from the neck pickup and one of the blades on the bridge pickup was just bouncing around inside the pickup cover.
    I took it apart and the wires had been cut up and taped back together, the magnets on the bridge pickup had come unglued, the neck pickup was missing all it's magnets.
    IMG_4541.

2. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I have a spare bridge jazz style pickup from a different Ibanez bass of the same vintage. would I be OK to use it's magnets on the split coil pickup? and what is the best way to attach them? and how do I tell what direction or polarity to put them in?
    this picture is of the current spit coil in the bass (86 rb760), and what I believe is a single coil super 7 from a 83 Ibanez musician, this is the pickup I would stealing the magnets from.
    Any thoughts would be welcome.
    IMG_4542.

3. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    this is the current installed bridge pickup. the magnets have come un-attached and everything is loose inside the casing.
    IMG_4543.

4. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    So to sum it here is a list of my questions.
    1. how can I tell which direction the magnets should be installed?
    2. what solvent should I use to help remove magnets from the donor pickup and clean the old adhesive off?
    3. what adhesive should I use to reapply magnets?
    4. what adhesive should I use to reattach pickups to the inside of the casing?
    5. should I move this post to the Luthier's Corner
    Thanks

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Is there any particular reason why you wouldn't just swap the pickups? That seems much simpler and less likely to leave you with two bad pickups instead of one...

Good luck with the project--I love those old Ibby's.

6. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    If you have a compass check the polarity of the magnets on the working pickup and mount the loose magnets like that. Remember that polarity facing the poles or blade is the same on both magnets. I'd use hot melt glue on the magnets and covers. You van gently scrape the old glue off the magnets.

7. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    The reasons are these.
    -I've never been able to find a replacement for the bridge with suitable dimensions and I've looked hard. One of the main reasons I bought this bass was because of the stupid rare humbucking bridge pickup which I may end up putting in my musician since I've never been a fan of the single coil but it would allow me to keep it damn close to original
    -I've never looked for a replacement for the neck pickup because I love this pickup. I have a few old Ibanez with this split coil. Although it also looks like a standard size I think I would probably have trouble finding a direct replacement.
    -One reason I love old Ibanez is because of how cheap they are. new pickups would ad considerably to my super cheap restoration. plus I like re-using if the parts are serviceable.
    -the "donor' pickup has already had it's leads cut short, and I've never been a fan of it anyhow so I won't mind if becomes trash. I would actually be interested in it's empty case as that would allow me to potentially hide a j-bass sized pickup inside it.

Thanks MPU. I may get started tonight... My iPhone compass won't work right? ;)

Should I use acetone to remove donor magnets?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  8. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    The magnets should get loose with gentle tap. You need a magnetic compass to find out the polarity.