1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with making a kill switch please (DPDT or SPST method?)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GassieBall, Apr 29, 2009.

1. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I've done a bit of searching here but can't seem to get details on making a kill switch for a passive bass. Sorry, I'm such an electronics newbie.

Some people do a DPTP to either ground the pathway or run it through the bass like this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=kill_switch

I've also seen some people suggest a simple SPST switch that just grounds the output jack. (Not just opening the circuit and leaving it ungrounded.)

Is one way better than the other? I'm guess because it's for a passive setup, it doesn't make much difference because with the SPST, the signal chain will just take path of least resistance.

Also, to get rid of the "pop" is it a resistor or a capacitor that should be used, what ohm or microfarad rating should they be, and where in the circuit should they go? Both have been mentioned in my searches here.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the killswitch has to ground out the circuit (short hot to ground at the jack), otherwise you'll have noise when "killed". wiring diagrams that interrupt the hot path instead are just wrong.

plus, a shorting switch won't really make noise.

3. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'm still trying to figure out if I should do a spst to ground the jack when the bass circuit is still connected or do a dpdt to toggle between grounding the circuit vs. going to the bass circuit.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you (and duncan, for that matter) are making this too complicated. all you need for a passive instrument is a switch that connects hot straight to ground at the jack. that's it. it won't matter if anything else is connected or disconnected; hot shorted to ground=silence.

in fact, the extra switching will likely add popping noises, while the shorting method will just create instant silence.

5. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Walter, thank you so much for just breaking it down to the basics. (Duncan... not so much.) I sort of like the KISS principle, so a simple switch will make things a lot easier.