1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with matching Cab to Amp (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SKewball, Oct 10, 2017.

1. SKewball

SKewball

Oct 10, 2017
    Hi all

Need some help !! :) Looks like a cool place to ask and to get involved with!

I'm new to Bass (come from acocustic instruments - not bass). I'v been practising with a small combo, totally unsuitable buy hey ho, got to start somewhere.

But i've been lucky and won a cool Guitar Amp in a raffle! For various reason I don't wanna sell it. 2C8 AMPLIFIER - Davis Amplification

now, yeah, its a guitar Head Amp but I think thats ok, I'm only a beginner so really don't need to get over fussed with tones etc and as far as I can tell you can play a Bass through any Amp.
    But, I do know the speaker will be the limiting factor, and I don't have a separate Cab yet. So I need to be getting one that I can use with the Amp. (obviously we are talking home use only here!). SO what are the minimum specs I can get away with to match the Amp? I am talking on a budget here, so as low as I can go cost wise. So we are talking mainly Bass use here but if a friend wants to come round and plug his 6 string in to the stack I don't want it to sound awful, (and my son may want to start guitar) so am I looking at a 'full range' speaker or in the great scheme of things will a bass Cab do just fine, and what is the basic spec to look for..??
    any advice welcome !

Amp specs:
    • Channels - 2
    • Wattage - 8W
    • Outputs - 4, 8 and 16 Ohms
    • Controls - Clean Volume, Distortion Drive, Distortion Intensity, Distortion Volume, Pre FX Level, FX Level, Master Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass.
    • Valves - ECC83 (12AX7EH), EL34LS
    • Accessories - Channel switch pedal, power lead.
    • Weight - 12Kgs
    • Dimensions - 400 x 200 x 180 mm

2. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Neat looking little amp. At only 8 watts, won't take you far on bass but might be real fun jamming by yourself at home. Try searching in the forum using keywords like "double duty cabs" or similar as it's a question that pops up from time to time. A good sealed bass cab is a solid bet to sound nice with both guitar and bass. The ampeg svt-210av is a current production model that's inexpensive new and on the used market. Also cabs based on thiele designs like the tl-606 (ex: long out-of-production mesa diesel 1x15 in-production orange obc115) have been used for both bass and guitar to great effect, especially in heavier genres of music. I actually currently use a ported cab with both bass and guitar. I run a 60 watt tube amp thru an ampeg svt-15e and it sounds good for what I'm doing. One common theme in all the recs I've made is that none of these cabs have tweeters which can sound harsh and even be damaged with too much higher frequency distortion (as can be produced by a crunchy guitar sound).

SKewball likes this.