Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with mesa boogie bass buster 200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    my stingray 5 is overdriving the SNOT out of this bass buster. i have no bass boost, and have even cut the volume on the bass significantly. is there anything i can do to keep this from happening?
    is there soething wrong with the head? battery in bass is new and head is practiclally new.

2. tom46n2

tom46n2

Jun 16, 2005
    Chicago
    I wouldn't turn your bass volume down because you probably lose some tone. I would check your head settings and make sure you have the ohmage matched on the cab/head. :ninja:

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Jon, how do you have the eq and the pre/main set up on the amp?

Also, which version of this amp do you have?

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have the head version running a goliath 4x10. the pre doesn;t get past 9 o'clock before crazy distortion on the e and below. eq on bass is flat .

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Interesting...no distortion above low e?

Have you tried a standard passive bass through your setup? Or any other bass through the setup? Have you tried that bass through a different amp?

I'm not sure if this is an amp problem or a bass problem at this point.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    my essex j bass does the same thing when cranked past say noon.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hmmmm. Interesting.

It sounds like it's definitely the amp rather than the bass. I would start by setting all the tone controls 'flat' for your amp (I don't know what flat is on your Mesa, but it's not always @ 5, so you may have to check into it). I would turn the main up...don't max it, but try it around 2 or 3 o'clock. Then slowly add pre. It sounds like you're overdriving your amp, but I'm confused with the fact that it's only happening on low notes, which is usually a sign that you're adding too much low. And it doesn't sound like a speaker/cab problem?

8. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Jon, just my 2 cents, but I'm kind of suspecting a blown or old driver in the Goliath. How old is the Goliath? And, have you been the only owner?

I'd suggest you take your Stingray and the Buster and try another cabinet. I'm betting that clears up the problem.

9. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I owned a Buster 1 x 15 combo, and played an SR5 through it with outstanding results. You do, however, have to make sure not to overdrive the input OR the output stages (unless there's a particular 'growl' you're going for). You also have certain parameters to keep in mind with the EQ knobs, since it's all interactive with the resulting volume/gain.

If you don't have the manual, try the link below to download the Buster Owners Manual. It was a tremendous help to me.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Buster Bass 200.pdf