1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with mim p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chasfur, May 16, 2011.

1. chasfur

chasfur

Feb 14, 2009
    Elkhart , Indiana
    i have an oportunity to pickup a 2001 p bass mim. I just wanna know when fender mexico picked up quality to level it is now. i had a 2010 p deluxe i still regret selling and i want that quality. thanks all help welcome and appreciated. also since this is an add im answering when did they start the newer slimer necks, see i havent gotten a close up of the bass yet.

2. No matter what anyone tells you on this thread, let's be clear:

Any MIM Fender P, sight-unseen, is a gamble. The ONLY way to be sure you're getting "one of the good ones" is to play it first.

I recently bought two 2010 MIM Standards for the road sight-unseen, both are great players with awesome tone. But they were brand new with a return guarantee.

I was EXTREMELY lucky. That particular 2010 run seems to be pleasing a lot of people.

Prior to that, I wanted to make a Phil Lynott tribute bass, and I had to go through FOUR black Fender MIMs (purchased sight-unseen via internet) before I found ONE that was a good player.

3. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Has a chance to be good, but there's no way to know without playing it with a good setup. That having been said, I stumbled into a 2001 MIM-P that was one of the best P-Bass players you'll ever find. Supposedly that was a pretty good vintage for them, overall.

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

As far as I know, the MIMs have not had the great quality upswing that the USA and Squier VMs and CVs have had. Great advice above - play it first or have a return guarantee. I also found a fantastic MIM P, but they go just as often the other way.

5. chasfur

chasfur

Feb 14, 2009
    Elkhart , Indiana
    Thanks guys I'll pack tools and setup on site. I feel no amp needed tho for deal I'm getting if I need electronics I'm still ahead. Thanks again

6. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    I have a 2001 MIM P. I think it's a wonderful bass, plays great. The only mod I made was to change the pickgaurd to black. Couldn't stand the white one. The neck is great, the tone is definitive thumpy P. Here she is.

DSC_0528.

7. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    Well, I have a MIM 2001 Jazz Deluxe, and it is seriously one of the nicest playing basses I have ever laid my hands on. Picked it up from Craigs for $150, best $150 I ever spent! I'd say give it a shot.

8. chasfur

chasfur

Feb 14, 2009
    Elkhart , Indiana
    I love those jazz deluxe basses ! Lucky you. Thanks for all advice

9. I have a 2003 MIM P that I got for $229...and I absolutely love it.