Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with mixing a set

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by PB+J, Oct 19, 2003.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I'm extremely happy with eurosonic strings on my good old engle bass. They really work well with it, except that the "E" string is just too big--it never worked well, and I replaced it with a Pirastro Obligato "E" I had around. Works fine, but the string balance is wierd, because the "E" is actually thinner than the "A." Can anyone recommend an "E" string that might be a better match?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Is the match good tone-wise?
    Or is it just a physical unbalance?
    Maybe you could use an Obligato A instead of the Eurosonic.
    This way you'll get an Obligato bottom and Eurosonic top.
    It's not rare to see mixed sets in pairs like that.
    Just an idea.

3. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Do you mean the sound of the E is thinner than the A, or is it physically thinner?

The E string is a larger diameter than the A...so if you are talking physically...you may have them mixed up.

Eurosonic Lights will soon be out...Maybe the Light E would be better for your bass.

4. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Yes, I mean the E string is physically too large on the standard set--it doesn't fit the nut and it doesn't vibrate all that well either. I will try the light Eurosonic E when it comes out, i guess

thanks

5. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Yes it is a thick string, and no doubt it will not fit in the string groove on a bass that has been accomodating steel strings.

Eurosonic strings, since the onset, have been designed and constructed as an alternative to gut strings.

The light E string will give you a even lower tension string, but the diameter of the string has not been drastically reduced.

I posted a diameter comparison on www.rockabillybass.com that may be helpfull for you.
    Try this link, http://www.rockabillybass.com/discus/messages/4/897.html?1066760785