Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with MM pup wiring option

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, Dec 30, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I have a Kent Armstrong MM pup, in the wiring diagram I received with it; it gives me 3 switch options:
    2 Way “on/on” – series/parallel
    3 Way “on/off/on” - series/off/parallel
    3 Way “on/on/on” - series/split/parallel

The 2 way switch is obvious, which is what I’m probably going with. The other 2 seem cool, but I have no idea what the difference is.
    BTW, I don’t know if this will have any effect on the MM switch, but I’m also adding a J neck pup, and was thinking of adding a push/pull tone pot so I can have both pups in series/parallel.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Anybody???

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    It sounds like that last one is the way Musicman Sterlings and Stringray 5s come. I think if you did that you could get closer to a true J sound when you wanted to, as you'd sort of have 2 single coils. At least I think that's how it would work.

4. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks.
    I guess I'll try that, I can always cahnge it ;)

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes the last one is like Sterlings/Sr5. Go with this one.

Series: Will have more treble and a really nice open-ed up tone. Nothing held back.
    Split: jazzy growl
    Parallel: Stingray esque tone. Focused on the growl and tight low mids. Treble is a little rolled off.

6. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Cool.
    Throw in the neck J-pup and I should have a nice variety of sounds.
    :bassist:

7. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I think you mixed up the Series and Parallel setttings:
    Parallel gives you a cleaner sound. Series gives you more oomph!

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

This is pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do with a project bass I'm putting together!
    Bridge: MM
    Neck: J
    MM -> 3way switch: Series/Parallel/Single-coil(split)
    Then run the output of that 3way switch into a more standard J setup: Volume/Blend/Tone with a series/parallel switch (or push-pull).

Turn the Blend knob to the bridge side to solo the MM pickup with three switching options on just that p'up, and then blend in the neck p'up when wanted.
    Should be able to get any sounds a J bass will give you when the MM is in 'split' mode, plus a huge array of other sounds when you throw the MM into series or parallel.

:bassist:

9. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Didn't really think about going Volume/Blend/Tone, I was just gonna go vol/vol/tone, but that may be an even better option.
    Thanks

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Now for something complete different...

If you get one of the 4 way lever switches (either Fender or after market) that are made for custom wiring a Telecaster, they wire two pickups or a single four wire humbucker to go split/series/split/parallel, with the two splits being each coil seperately.

11. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    You mean for the switch right off the MM?
    Interesting, but relatively useless. The MM isn't wide enough to get significantly different sounds from the two different splits. Not worth the confusion of an extra switch notch IMHO.

12. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    At 1 point I was gonna go a little nuts.
    2 MM's
    Volume and tone pots for each pup and with an on\on\on switch (top pup\humbucker\bottom pup) for each pup. Also I was gonna go with an on\on switch for series/parallel for both pups.
    I just didn’t want to route the body. :bag:

13. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Hey Duckbutter, do you know if the Kent MM p'up will hum when run split/single-coil? I'm probably getting the same MM.
    I'm debating what to put in as my neck J and was planning on going noiseless, but if the MM will hum when split I'll find something that'll hum-cancel in conjunction with it...

14. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    No, sorry. I don't have them set up yet.
    I went with the Kent J as well. That one I know is not hum canceling, but I'm not going to run it soloed.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No, i didnt. It may be how you descirbe it, but Parallel in general is the stingray settings. Ask anyone whos played both, which sounds more trebely a sterling or a stingray?

16. Good description of the tones, Fig. These tendencies occur when doing this to most any humbucker.

One thing to keep in mind, a Sterling pup is equipped with a 3rd dummy coil, where a stingray pup (especially a KA MM pup) has only 2 coils. This means that in "split" (I call it "single coil") mode, the pickup is still hum-cancelling on the sterling, but acts as a normal sometimes-noisy single coil on the KA pup. Not to worry, it's still worth putting in the option.

I went series/off/parallel on my 1-pickup KA soapbar wishbass, primarily because I envision the fretless hanging on a stand a lot of the time ready-to-go, just switched "off".

17. the only 3rd party pickup mfr. I know that makes a "sterling" style MM pup (with the dummy coil) is Nordstrand. with their MM4.3 Kent Armstrong's is two coil, as far as I know.

18. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    perfect, good to know.
    I'll be going for the Nordstrand for my bass then.
    Oh well, my wallet will just have to hate me.

19. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I just found this...
    http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-mm-pickups.htm
    MME ( Tri Coil)
    MM42CBJD3(Quad Coil)
    your wallet will still hate you ;)

20. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA