HELP with modding an olp musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 18, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    how should i mod out my olp mm2:

it needs a lot of help. got it on ebay for 100 bucks less than in stores, and it just sucks.

-i guess new pup is good, and it definitely needs a new wiring setup; the pots just "jump" in volume/tone.i'm thinking seymour duncan MM with active tone circuit.

-tuners don't stay in tune, so new tuners. (gotoh sounds good)

-how about the bridge.. what's a good replacement?

-new strings a must

-gotta set it up right, as well.

i think thats all i can do. unless i wanna make it into an MM-J bass. another question is... is it worth all that cash?

the neck is good, but IMO it doesnt look THAT great.

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Whether or not it's WORTH it is up to you - some people wouldn't want to sink several hundred dollars into an $200 instrument, while others just like to tinker. Different strokes for different strokes, right?

If you're not happy with the electronics, I would say do your preamp first and see how you like it with the stock pickup. If you're still not happy with the sound, then move on to an aftermarket pickup. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
  3. StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Hey! Ihave one of those! I think the stock pup is pretty good. But yeah Duncans are always good no matter what. Go with a badass bridge (The plate is nearly the same size as the OLP bridge plate, if not smaller). I agree that maple fretboards suck, but i like the neck on this bass-beefy but not a baseball bat. cool bass for the price, cool bass to mod.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The first thing I'd do is turn it right-side-up:ninja:

The next thing I'd do is put some quality cts pots in it.

Then, I'd put a DarkStar in it.

That's what I'm doing to mine.
  5. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Frankly I don't think swapping the bridge is going to do anything for you. The stock MM style bridges are just fine.

If you like the 'sound'...
    - Swap the tuners if they don't hold steady. That's a no brainer.
    - Replace the pots.
    - New strings. (read up and get some 'bright' sounding strings.)
    Call it... maybe $100.

If you don't like the sound:
    - Swap tuners
    - New strings
    - Bart MM4.2 + active bart pre, OR Duncan MM + active pre, OR something else similar.
    You're looking at more like $250-$300 for this change, and that's if you wire it up yourself. If you pay a tech...

It's up to you whether you want to spend that money or not. If you don't like the way it looks, you're probably better off selling it as is and spending that, plus what you would have spent to upgrade it, and get something you're happier with.
  6. tuners....grover
    bridge....if it works, leave it
    strings...I like D'Add XL's
    Pup....Carvin (good sound for reasonable price, see the Dr. Dimento thread in pickups and electronics)

Preamp, go with an outboard...when you ditch the bass, you can keep the pre

Not counting the're looking at dumping about $150+ into the bass...

is it worth it? make the call...if there's something about the bass that grabs you, then, go for it...but if it just plain sucks...then, sell up
  7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    If you want a musicman sound on a budget, I suggest finding a used MTD Kingston and putting a preamp in there. It gets real close.