1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with mounting screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ChrisGc, Feb 17, 2017.

1. ChrisGc

ChrisGc

Feb 17, 2017
    I either don't know how to use a search engine or this piece of info is unnecessarily hard to find. I was just hoping someone could help me with the following question.

What size (diameter and length) mounting screws do I use to affix a badass bass bridge III to an American Deluxe Jazz Bass?

Extra points if you can tell me the head type as well. Thank you!

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Just use the existing screws from the Fender bridge.

They're philips head screws. How many extra points ya givin' me?

3. ChrisGc

ChrisGc

Feb 17, 2017
    Haha, I appreciate the effort. I was looking for an EXACT description

I.e. #8 1" flat head would be an exact description. (As in screw head type, not what screwdriver is needed).

You can have a flat head Phillips for example.

I think I might have tracked down the answer. I think they use #6 1 1/4" Phillips flat head.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    All of my Fender bridges have oval head screws that came with the bridge/bass.

96tbird likes this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Yep, they're oval head. And I do believe #8 is the correct size.

6. ChrisGc

ChrisGc

Feb 17, 2017
    And this is why my stupid question is so hard to find an answer for!

I'm trying to put on a Badass Bass Bridge. If I was putting on a FENDER bridge then it would of course stand to reason that the same stock screws are used.

However, I'm not looking to use a fender part. I'm looking for Badass bass bridge SPECIFIC screws. Photos online of the bridge in original packaging look like they contain flathead screws. Not oval. Hell, I'll just spend the extra .30 cents and buy both.

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Except for aesthetics it isn't important. If the saddles don't EVER have the possibility of sitting over top of the screws then oval heads would be more attractive. IF on the other hand the saddles are capable of sitting over the screws then I'd use flattop, as the oval heads could interfere with how the saddle sits.

96tbird likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Just use some 16p nails; hammer them over flat on the back of your bass; and have done with it...:D Seriously though, are you saying you have the (new?) bridge, and it didn't come with screws? 'Cause it should have; every new bridge I ever bought did. If you haven't bought it yet, I don't think you need to worry about it. And, if you don't like the screws it comes with? Then, just take one of them with you to the hardware store, and go crazy...:thumbsup:

96tbird likes this.