Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help With Music Jobs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen S, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I need help with my career choices. Basically, I'm very passionate about music, I love playing Bass, keyboard, guitar, Singing, and playing drums when I get a chance. I love music soo much, but I'm at the point in my life where my parents are ragging on me about what I'm gonna do with my life and I'd like to make the best informed decision I can make. So I'll list some of my job ideas and maybe you guys can tell me what is typically needed to get there.

Record store owner:

Producer/ recording engineer(or whatever the guys who work the gear are called):

Session musician:

also, any ideas would be appreciated.

EDIT: Big Fat Superstar would be nice, but that is wishful thinking.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    ALL of these take massive capital costs and knowledge of the fields. Ownin a business isn't just signing paychecks for your employees. It takes a lot of work to make a successful business. Producer/sound engineer also takes knowledge of a ton of different types of gear. To really know gear, you have to use it. Huge cost here. Session musician takes a lot of skill. Being able to lay down the low end with many different styles takes years. I don;t want to rain on your party, but this is a tough goal. But, with proper dedication, you can do any one of these. I reccomend college. A degree in music would help with the session musician, or if they have intro to music at a local studio like my local college has, then that would help with producer/sound engineer. Business management is a must have for owning and running a business. Dealing with costs, personnel, and all the other aspects of it is tough. You'll need some preparation. So, whatever you decide, do it wholeheartedly. And good luck!

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    if you wanna be a record producer...get some gold teeth, and wear bandana's....

-Mike

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Bass is a good instrument for session musicians. Especially with the bass and drum driven hip hop and such that is popular these days.

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA