1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with mute.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stroker, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Stroker

Stroker

Jul 21, 2007
    Conway, AR
    I've been learning "Another one Bites the Dust". The problem is when I play the "E" open and mute it between notes I get A HIGH PITCH buzz. What gives?

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    How do you mute the notes? It's difficult to say where the problem is without knowing that. There are at least a few different ways to mute a string. Anyway, I think the problem is the right hand technique. Check out the first post in the exercise sticky. There's a good exercise that will improve your muting technique, speed and endurance if you do it correctly.

3. Trevor Morbid

Trevor Morbid

Jun 1, 2007
    well, your muting technique probably wont matter, as long as the notes are even. my guess is either: bad strings or slightly low or high string height. :meh:

:bassist:

4. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    Well, depending on the type of buzz it is, he might be muting with one finger on the fretting hand between the 5th and 7th frets, giving him a nice harmonic lol. I've done that a few time by accident when I'm not paying attention.