Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with my 5 str Jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zanyman42788, May 3, 2004.

1. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    i have a MIM 5 str jazz bass, and the B is of course... floppy... and i want to know if i cut the B string alot if it will get tighter. aside from that question, what is the point of actually cutting the strings? if you have any other suggestions as to what i can do to make my B tighter, i will gladly look into them.
    thanx in advance

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I feel your pain. I have the same bass. :meh: You could try a thicker B-string. I think I read here that taperwounds or even flatwounds have higher tension, too.

Strings are made to fit on all basses, and with all sorts of scale lenghts and headstock configurations, they need to have enough to accommodate this. You cut the strings to the lenght you need, that's all. As for cutting the strings on the Jazz, I try to leave enough string to wrap the B-string around the tuning post about 3 times. I've never cut my strings shorter than that, and I don't know how that would affect tension, since the scale length is still the same. It doesn't seem like it would be an improvement.

I know there have been a few threads about this, but I'm hoping someone else will offer some new advice. I'm still looking for a solution.
    :bassist:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Having more wraps on the tuner for the B will make the break angle across the nut a bit sharper. That might tighten it up. Also, I have noticed taperwounds are great for making your lower strings not sound so flubby.