Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with my 55-01!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Aug 12, 2005.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I just got 2 weeks ago my 55-01. When I played it I noticed the action was to low. So I took it to a shop and they did a setup on it, tune, raise action to my likeing. (I am new at this)Well I was just woundering they didnt raise the pickups on it, should I raise them up a little. Or just leave them. I am not sure, Explain why or why not to raise them. Thanks for the help. :D

2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    My general rule for pickup height is to push the E string down on the last fret (closest to the neck pickup), and the bottom of the string should be from 1/16" to 1/8" above the top of the pickups. Repeat with the G string, at 1/16" above both pickups. That's a good starting point, and I probably wouldn't raise the pickups any higher than that.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Pickup height is a real personal thing. I like mine not so high that it feels like they're right on top of my fingers, but high enough so I get a tad hotter sound.

4. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I will try that out thanks. :D How high or low is your pickups, and explain? :D (which is the way you like it) Might be a stupid question but I just want to learn more about it and hear others comment on it. Thanks for the info. :bassist:

5. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    bump in the night :D

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Basically it's really just personal preference. As I said, I like to have them low enough that I have enough room between the strings and the pickup to play comfortably. But I also want them high enough that I get the output I'm looking for. Try lowering your pickups and then raising them until the output is good enough for you (not too quiet, not too overpowering) and the strings are not too close to the pickup and it feels comfortable to play either over or around the pickups. Most manufacturers give suggestions for this sort of thing, but like all bass adjustments, it's purely personal preference.

If you like the feel and the tone you're getting at the moment, leave them as they are and don't worry about it.

7. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Thank you Fourstringdrums I will do just that. :D