1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Smokeyramirez, Jun 7, 2011.

1. I recently got a Peavey Tour TNT amp and it makes a weird noise on my B E and A strings, sometimes the C string too. whats wrong with it?

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    That's an interesting tuning.

Not enough info to know what could be wrong.

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Can you describe the noise? And we can assume your bass is fine through another amp?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Could be anything from a broken amp, to mis-use of the amp, to a problem with your bass. Much more detail required to answer, and ultimately, if it is the amp, you need an amp tech.

5. Sorry for such a late reply, i need a better way to be notified, but when i play the 15th fret for example it makes like a noise like a bullhorn, it also happens on the 3rd fret, i think it is the amp becuase i tried my other 4 string and it did it when i played the 10th fret on the E string

6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    It's just a stab in the dark, given the information above, but methinks you may be driving the speaker to distortion levels. It's unlikely that it's the amp, as it's 600w. But a single 15" driver may not be able to handle the really loud, deep notes. If you're playing at low volumes and it persists, you may have blow the speaker. These are just guesses, mind you.

Try turning down. Or EQing some of the bass out. Or getting a rig with more speakers.

7. Well i've been thinking of gettting a better set up since this was sold to me for 200 and i've been suspicious, Could you recommend me a good amp thats less then 550?

8. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Assuming that your problem is that you're overpowering the single 15" speaker? And for less than $550 new? No. I'm stumped. There are some reputable 15" combos out there. Acoustic even makes a 4x10 stack that costs $550. But I would hesitate to recommend them as being better able to handle your situation, especially as some of them are pretty low-end on the food chain.

Of course, if the problem is that your gear is broken in some way, who knows. A new 15" combo could be just fine.

9. Well I tried messing with the equalizer and it still gives me the same problem. I just want to find a nice set up for around town.

10. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    You need to make a determination if a) your speaker or amp is blown or malfunctioning or b) you're overpowering it with too woofy a sound at too high a volume. Until you figure that out, there's no way to tell whether replacing it with a new $550 rig is going to solve your problem.

11. Well how do i find that out, i already took it in to a place and all they did was tighten some screws, if i take it apart I would run the risk of messing it up even more right?

12. Well i kept messing around with it, and i solved the problem with the 3rd fret, but i have a completely diffrent sound

13. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    If you are unsure about the kind of tone and volume that might overpower a 15" speaker then you'll have to have a qualified amp tech make that determination for you.

Like I said, the answer to this question is important. If it's truly a blown speaker or a blown amp, you might solve the problem by getting another amp similar to that one. If it's just the case that you're overpowering it, then you'll need to get a totally different kind of amp to replace it.

14. I've had weirdness like that happen to me from time to time.

More often than not the problem for me turned out to be that the screws fastening down the speaker
    basket had vibrated loose and the speaker was buzzing, creating it's own note. Check to make sure
    the speaker and all fastening hardware are fastened down nice and snug.

Don't over tighten anything as you don't want to create new damage. Be especially careful with the
    speaker mounting screws. Over tightening those might warp and damage the speaker frame.

Also I've had internal cabinet bracing loosen up on me that also caused funny noises (sympathetic
    resonance) on certain notes. Be sure to check out the inside of the cabinet too.

Hope this helps! :bassist: