Help with my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmcgee, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bassmcgee

Sep 8, 2004
    Hey. I'm playing an Ibanez Soundgear 300SXR and its beautiful. Its got a 9V battery thing for the pickups, and its so sweet. But lately ive been having trouble.

Using the same bass and patch chord, but different amp, my bass has been just randomly cutting out. The sound just will dissapear entirely until I jiggle around with the whole thing till it works.

Another problem. i find that rarely, but sometimes, when my strings get to close to the pickup when i pluck em, that they make a buzzing, raspy, hoarking (sp?) noise.

Anyone know what the problem could be?
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Are you saying that with one amp, it always works, and with another amp, it's consistently cutting out? If that's the case, then it could be a faulty solder joint in the guilty amp. One of my friends had an Ampeg head where one of the solder nodes at the input went bad, and if you spoke too close to the head, you could actually hear yourself through the cab.

Make sure that it's only happening with this one amp though. More often than not, it's a loose wire or bad solder job within the amp's wiring cavity. Those input jacks always manage to get twisted around when people are inserting and removing plugs, and wires tend to snap. Could be a bad pot on the bass too.
  3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    If everything's fine until you use the other amp, I'd suspect the amp.

exactly what do you mean by "whole thing"? Bass? Amp? Cord? If cord, which end? Still sounds like an amp or amp jack problem. What about different basses thru the suspect amp?

Sounds like pickup distortion to me. Not sure if I've ever noticed this, but if they're too close, try raising them and just turning your amp up a little louder to compensate.

Hope this helps.