Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with my Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbonesux, Apr 21, 2002.

1. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    im building a bass, and i have some questons:
    1-which of these necks do you prefer:
    carvin, warmoth, or stewmac?

2-is there a big sustain difference between a string through and top loading?

3-if i go with string through can i have the string ferules behind the bridge instead of under it? (or will the strings not reach?)

4-should i use neck ferules if im not having a neck plate?

5-I'm gonna have maple neck, Pau ferro finger board, swamp ash body, so should I go with a bridge pickup with a lot of bass?

6-For the pickups, i am defeniently going with a musicman style, but ive heard that adding a neck pu will give me more tone options. how much more versitlie will another pu make it?
    I was thinking about a Rick-style or should i go with a jazz?

7-will I need special files for a brass nut?

8-do you have any advice/ideas for me?

thankyou :)

2. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    :mad: no help eh?

3. blakec3686

blakec3686

Dec 14, 2000
    i dont know that much but i prefer the top loading , and am particularlt attracted to carvin
    thats just me
    Blake

4. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    thanks, how bout the others please? :)

5. If I was you, and this is purely my advice to you, I would do the following. Buy a warmoth body, I'm not sure, perhaps you are building this part yourself. If you want a MM pickup at the bridge, I would get a Jazz pickup in the neck position, that seems to be a very versatile combination, ask a Lakland owner. Then, it depends how much money you willing to spend, but I would first choose a Moses graphite neck, and otherwise I would get a warmoth. I had a bass with a top/string through loading bridge, I didn't find a big difference between the two. If you buy a quality bridge like a hipshot, gotoh or ABM, it should make that large of a difference.

Perhaps if you described the tone you are after people could elaborate more on their suggestions.

Cheers,
    Geoff

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    nice sig file there, tbonesux...

Here's my take:
    1. I've played Carvin and Warmoth; the Carvins seem thinner/faster, the Warmoth fatter, more traditional. I would guess there are different types of necks available thru Warmoth though, so they may have some thinner ones, I don't know.
    I liked the carvin.

2. Several of the luthiers I've spoken to don't feel there's a huge difference between stringing thru the body or not. I don't see a huge difference myself; if anything the changed angle makes for a little different feel, maybe a tighter pull, but I can't say for sure. Some feel they get better contact at the witness point on the bridge saddle, but I don't see any huge improvements from stringing thru the body. The added length (though slight) might make it hard to find strings that'll reach all the way.

3. You can do that, but there might be a length problem if you're at 35" scale or more.

4. Don't know...

5. Probably, sounds like a 'bright' recipe.

6. Yep, much more versatility with another P'up. Jazz would be nice at the neck. Should give nice fat, woody, bassy tones. Would compliment the MM nicely. Though you probably could get away with just about any p'up there, the position will be the big factor.

7. Don't know about the file...might want to ask these questions in the luthiers corner forum.

8. Definitely check in with the luthiers forum. They're the experts.
    How many strings? What scale length? Passive/active?

sounds like a good project, keep us apprised please!

7. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    itll be a four string jazz style neck, 34in scale, active (barts), clear fnish, slight brown tint around edges,
    I have now decided to make it top loading(thanks for the input)
    and mimf.com recomended the neck ferrules and said i won't need special files for the brass nut, which i have another question about--can it break strings, and once again, does it have a big enough effect to notice?

heres some sketchs which will probably be what it will look like

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    My Alembics have brass nuts, and I've never broken a string. I don't think you'll have a problem there. Supposedly it helps the notes sound the same, whether fretted or open. I don't notice a huge difference from other nut material, but my Alembics do sound very balanced across the whole spectrum, and quite bright/lively. Don't know for sure that any of this has to do with the nut, but it could be a small factor.

Your plans sound nice. Don't see the sketches yet though...

9. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    oops the file was too big :(

10. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I find that the only bass that the one massive pickup style worked was for MM. Definitly add the jazz pup near the neck.

11. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin