Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with my computer please...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Help - I looked at this now closed thread -
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=80423
    and clicked his link to his music/satan worship site - I am lame when it comes to computers and I don't understand the discussion of "XUPITER" or "Spy ware" :confused: Is this why my computer has been infested with pop up boxes recently? If so, what do I do about it? I'm at work - this isn't even really my computer...

2. I just read that link a few minutes ago.

Do a search using the words "Adaware" and you'll learn all about spyware. Ad-aware is a program that removes programs that are secretly installed on your computer.

Xupiter is another one of those pesky programs. If it's a work computer, the IS dept. should have the security settings on max so you shouldn't have to worry. (Until the monthly internet usage reports show that you've been surfing satanic music sites.)

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm getting pop up boxes like crazy (even while on TB.com) and I never have before...I'm sure we *should* have all the latest anti-whatever stuff and everything set at max...I'm thinking maybe we don't?

Yeah, that's going to impress them...I guess I just can't click any links anymore....

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you probably that New.net crap installed on your computer. it comes with kazaa and limewire i think, and it reroutes all your DNS requests through their servers. Tons of popups and stuff. PLUS adaware i guess can't get rid of it because they put a weird script in the uninstall program.

Go through your add/remove programs and see if there's stuff like 'browser enhancer' 'new.net' or the like...if there's something you don't recognize, do a google search for it and you'll be able to see real easily whether it's spyware or not.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I looked through my "Add/Remove Programs" and had something called New.net. I deleted it. What exactly is it again?

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Sing with me
    "I love running a macintosh, I love running a macintosh, apple computer did a good job, I am a maclot HEY!"

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

spy/adware. everytime you ask for a domain name/web page, you're asking for it from their servers, not your local one. so they can see what you're looking - and pop up ads accordingly.

just do a google search for "new.net spyware" you'll find lots of info on what exactly this POS does

8. Go to Lavasoft and download AdAware. After installing it, run it, and have it delete all that it finds. It is possible for it to find literally hundreds of spyware, data mining cookies and files. I would run it every couple of weeks to keep the crap they put on your pc to a minimum.

9. Sing with me now:

"Macs suck noodles..."

(*smug linux user*)

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

While i absolutely agree with you on running adaware every once in a while, just yesterday i had to have a customer manually pull browser enhancer and new.net off, because they've designed them to evade automated programs like adaware. spybot isn't as comprehensive as to what it can pull off, but it is much better at pulling out pesky programs like these.

I'd run both adaware and spybot, and make sure you keep up to date on all the definitions/updates.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    D'oh! I really gotta get me OS X, then I'll be running unix(basically)

12. I've seen that. It looks NIIIIIIICCEEE. Very stylish interface :)

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Oh! OOHHH!!! don't even get me started about OSX. i want it so, so badly. if they released it for x86 architecture i think over half of the people running windows would switch.

14. If you just want Windows to look better than get LiteStep.

http://www.litestep.net/
    http://www.litestep.com/

(the latter was down last time I tried it)

Read the websites though, because there are a few different versions of it currently in development.