Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!!! with my computer!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by steve-o, Apr 20, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    no recording programs work on my comp. including the windows recorder. ever since we replaced the harddrive and installed blackice. it won't work.
    i have cubase vst. 32 but it won't work.

thanks

steve

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what exactly does it do instead of work?
    error message?
    have you tried disabling blackice?
    what version of windows?

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it does nothing. no error message either.
    and it is xp. we changed from me to xp.

steve

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I have a computer in my house that went from ME to XP. It runs VERY crappy. Maybe something to do with that. Did you upgrade or fullly install XP on?

that might be some of your problem....I am not a computer expert.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    fully installed.
    now it creates an error message.
    one reorder jsut stops responding.
    we replaced the hard drive. so it was started from scratch.

steve

6. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    thats windows for ya...F windows!!!!

7. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    LOL windows LOL. why do people insist on using that crap?

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    really man..windows XP is a killer OS for music applications. Problems are much easier to issolate and control.

9. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    maybe but they don't make Pro tools, digital preformer or logic for windows (the best softwares for audio). And problems are even easier to deal with on a mac, well if you even have problems. Top studios use macs for a reason.

10. I'll let the mac vs windows arguement be. We use whatever it takes to get the job done. Boo to both OSes. They both have their problems. meh, my PC (XP) is stable and solid. As is the Mac at work. Both just need a little lovin...

Don't ever do an OS upgrade on either platform. Always save your personal files, format, and install fresh. I'm a lowly helpdesk op (it's a job...for now) but I've seen enough (and used both platforms) to say this solves 95% of the silly problems that arise.

And don't start me on video formats and rendering either, let alone audio.

Anyways, that being said, give us symptoms. It won't record? What happens when you do record? "It won't work" doesn't suffice and doesn't help much. What happens, literally?

Can you playback? Can you record but get no audio (track records but nothing is heard)? Does it lock/freeze? What soundcard? Give us the logical rundown (from instrument to PC, and everything in between) and we can help.

What other software might be tying up the soundcard (speech recognition software, answering machine, other)? What's loaded?

Capo the third input and give it a kick. :D

11. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina

Completely agree.