Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with my EMG Pickups!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by infectus-alex, Oct 27, 2005.

1. infectus-alex

infectus-alex

Oct 17, 2005
    Hi i rencently took apart my SPector (i assume its a cheap korean stylle one) so i could strip the paint off and do it with a nce natural finish. I got it looking really nice, put it all back together, and soldered all the electronics back together. All good so far! I plugged it in, and there is quite a bit of inter-ferance, and you only get sound from the string when you are touching the pickup. Crazy! I checked the grounding wire tot eh back of the bridge... and everything else looks ok - but im not experianced in this type of thing. The pick-up is labelled EMG-HZ and its connected to a volume and a tone pot.

ANY IDEAS!?!

Cheers... Alex.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

http://emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMGHZ-35-40-45.pdf

3. infectus-alex

infectus-alex

Oct 17, 2005
    cheers luknfur, i will have a look through there and check it to what is actually going on in my bass! hopefully it will shed some light on the situation!

I will probably need some more help tho!?!

Alex.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    sounds like you have a Professional series bass, depending on which tone circuit is in there, I think that's where your wiring problem lies, it's not a passive circuit, as in one tone knob/pickup, you're going to have a treble and bass.

What does it say on the back of your headstock? Is there a centre detent on the tone knobs?

5. infectus-alex

infectus-alex

Oct 17, 2005
    Hi!

It dosent say anything on the back of the head.... and no, there isnt a detent on the control knobs! It feels good to play.... but i get the impression that it wasnt to pricey! Im going to have a mess round with it tonight, using the diagrams that luknfur sent.... i willg et back to you with my progress!

Cheers All!

Alex.

6. infectus-alex

infectus-alex

Oct 17, 2005
    HI again!

Right, i had a look on the inside of my bass, and compared it to the diagrams i was sent, and whilst it does bear a resemblance, it is not exactly as in the diagrams. I literally only undid a couple of wires, and the ones that i didnt undo, are not the same as the ones in the digram!

RevGroove, its not an active bass - the circitury is really basic (i wouldnt have taken on anything to complicated!), there is no battery, and the wiring just goes from the jack, to the pots to the pickup! Is there any other information that i could supply that would make identifying the problem easier? Cheers.. for all the help...

hoping to hear from RevGroove and anyone else that can help!

Alex.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Did you buy this new, or used? Spectors that shipped with EMG-HZs generally ship with an active tone circuit, so either you have a Pro or Euro that has been modded with passive tone controls, or a Performance series that shipped with EMG Selects and were upgraded to HZs...

...have you tried rewiring as indicted in the diagrams?

8. infectus-alex

infectus-alex

Oct 17, 2005
    Hi again....

I bought it used - do you think someone had the guts out and had a fiddle beofre i got it? :scowl: Just to clarify - the pickup is a chunky soap-bar with EMG-HZ written on in silver.... and inside its definatley not active.... and pretty simple (compared to my active bass!)... there is 1 tone and 1 volume pot.... and thats it really!

I didnt know wether to try re-wiring it as per the diagrams, cos it did work as it is beofre i took it apart.... Do you think that should be my next step? :confused:

Oh.... one more thing.... if you do advise wiring it, as per the diagrams.... where do i buy, and what type of wire should i use to connect everything down there? All the wires are very short.... and, a bit of extra wire to play with would make it all a bit easier!

Cheers again!

Alex. :)

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Is there only one HZ pickup, or two? In that case, you may have the Spectorcore, with one soapbar pickup and the Fishman bridge. Is it a semi-acoustic bass?

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Agreed...but I've never heard of a Spector equipped with HZs that didn't ship with an ACTIVE tone circuit...EXCEPT for the Professional Series Spectorcore, which shipps with a single HZ (and has the Fishman Bass Powerbridge with Piezos) and the Performance Series basses, but they come with EMG Selects.

11. infectus-alex

infectus-alex

Oct 17, 2005
    There is just the one soapbar stylee pick up.... there is no piezo pickup in the bridge, and its a solid bocy, not semi acoustic bass.

Does that help... or just confuse matters further! :eyebrow:

Alex.

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Sounds like a Performance Series 2000B...the Select was probably replaced with an EMG HZ, you lucked out!

If the diagram you have doesn't work out, contact Rick at EMG, he's da man!

13. infectus-alex

infectus-alex

Oct 17, 2005
    Thanx for all the help!

I will give all your advice ago, and get back to you... possibly with pics if you want?

Cheers

Alex.

14. Alex,

The EMG pdf that luknfur posted should be all that you need. The first wiring diagram (1 vol/1 tone) should be your guide.
    I assume that the electronics were working properly before you took things apart. You might have ended up with a bad solder joint when you put things back together, especially the one soldered to the pot casings. You have to get the pot casing hot really fast which usually requires a hot soldering iron. If you are using a low wattage iron, you'll usually end up slowly heating the pot and EVERYTHING else. Many times this damages the pot. Sometimes a heatsink clip can help keep the heat in the area you intend to solder.

HZ pup volume pot:
    1. The black and white wires are soldered together. They don't connect to ANYTHING besides themselves. They tie the separate coils together into 2.
    You should NOT have had to take these apart when you disconnected things, but you never know.
    2. The RED wire solders to the Center lug on the Volume pot.
    3. The GREEN and SHIELD wire solder TOGETHER to the outer casing of the volume pot. This is the GROUND. The bridge ground wire usually solders to this too.
    4. The WHITE (or might be another color) wire runs from the bottom v-pot lug over to the tip connector of the 1/4 jack.
    5. The capacitor is wired from the v-pot center lug to the t-pot center lug.
    6. A wire runs from the v-pot top lug to the tone pot bottom lug. The wire continues on the the SLEEVE lug of the 1/4 jack.
    7. Double-check the connector at the pickup. You might have removed it and/or installed it backwards.

Good luck..

Mag...