Help with my Epi T-bird.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theaterbass29, Feb 9, 2005.

1. theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Hey Guys,
    Been away from the forums awhile, but good to be back. Sometimes, you just have to step away from the computer for awhile and put everything in perspective. Anyways, got a new Epiphone Thunderbird Reverse IV for my 31st birthday and have been having fun modifying it to suit my needs. Im stumped right now though because I dont know what pickups to choose. Does anyone know if the EMG 35 DCs will fit this bass and will they work? Im an EMG fan of sorts, but Im also considering the old school route on this bass. I have found many different wiring schematics for the thunderbird. Right now, I am using (2) 500k pots for the 2 volumes, and a 250k for the tone with a .47cap. This gives me a really thick and thuddy tone, but Im really wanting more of that clangy, rickenbacker sound, something with more top end and midrange cut. I still have the stock Epi pickups, which Im wanting to swap out for the New Gibson TB plus pickups. Anyone have these pickups in their Epi? Or do you have a recent model Gibson with these pickups? What are the pots in your Epi/Gibson? Caps? Finally, does anyone have any cool Bass Pod XT settings for their Thunderbird that you wouldnt mind sharing? Thanks for the info and I would be curious to know your thoughts on the Thunderbirds. Later.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, emg has dimensions of their pickups on their website. This is what they are: 3.5" or 89mm. I don't know about width the other way. I would reccomend EMG pickups because of their great clarity. They have a character of their own, but they can make your bass shine. Though, you may want to try some modifications to your existing setup. You could try 1 meg pots for the volumes, as they tend to brighten up the tone. You could also switch to a different type of capacitor as well. I find mylar film caps work well, or even Orange Drop caps sound quite good. The Orange Drop caps are meant for tube amplifier use, but they do really well in a tone circuit. That is the cheapest route, and if you don't end up liking it, you aren't out too much.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I have a set of pups that are reportedly from an Epi T-bird. Some of the best pups I've run across. There are actually fairly active EMG PJ like in nature. Dead quiet, clear, high output, ample bass, mids, and treble. The 250K pot and .47 cap are going to cut your trebles - and therefore affect tone in the other ranges. You might try just wiring the bridge pup straight to the jack to hear what the pup sounds like unadulterated before deciding to move on to something else.

Here's the link to a review I did on them.