1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help with my fender: dating

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bestest_bassist, Jul 30, 2002.

1. so i know this topic has been brought up multiple times, and i really dont care all that much, i was just a little curious and i'm working a summer job where i have more than enough free time to be able to investigate small curiosities like this.

i've been playing bass for 6 years and i think about 3 years ago i bought a used Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe V. it's a great bass, plays, sounds great, and is absolutely gorgeous (transparent blueburst with white tortoise pickguard). i know it's an MIA Deluxe because it says "made in america" on the head (duh) and it has active pickups. the dealer didnt know if it was a new model that year (thus making it a 99) or not. i've found some links and read some related old threads on here when other people have asked similar questions about dating their fender bass.

i went to mrgearhead.net and read the dating guide on that site. my serial number is N7 followed by six other digits (if you want the exact, i can give em, but i thought ppl wouldnt care). the dating guide on mrgearhead.net says that fender only used N7+6digits in '97 and '98, but the guide also indicates that the American Deluxe series in '98 and '99 was labeled DN+6digits. so does that defnitively make it a '97? was the American Deluxe series even offered in '96?

thanks in advance,
    Joel

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    damn. I clicked on this link cuz i thought it was about sumhow being able to hang out with your bass on an intimate level. Im fairly dissapointed that i cant date my bass, and cant help you, im sorry.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    mrgearhead is the best site I know for dating. If that is ambiguous, I would see if there is a date on the neck or pocket, or possibly some dates on the pots.
    Doc

4. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I thought he was dating his bass as well. Look, if you wanna get to know your bass better, buy it some flowers and a box of chocolates.

5. i found the date, right down to the day (which part of manufacture was on that day, i don't know) in the neck pocket....i think there was one on the neck as well (under the heel) but it was illegible.

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I thought maybe you took your bass on a date with you and it had some problems. My girlfriend hates it when I play bass when she's over. That's the only problems I've had relating dating and my basses.

Dirk