Help with my Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbhm, Jun 21, 2004.

1. cbhm

Apr 4, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Well, this is how the story goes. Basically, I have a MIA Fender RI '75 Jazz bass. Lately, I've been playing it and the sound doesn't seem quite right for me. At the last show I had, my bass was very low in output and the sound ended up very distorted. I couldnt get the level high enough. I had to borrow a friends MIA P-bass deluxe. That sounded WAY better than my jazz. Another hting besides the output volume is that the sound is really thin. For this band that im using this bass in, (punk/funk/hardcore), I really can't seem to make the sound fit. I was wondering what the best way to solve the problem would be. Here are the things I have chosen as options
    1. Change the Pickups
    2. Add a Onboard preamp
    3. Rout out the neck jazz pickup into a p pickup slot.

What would be my best option?
    Thanks for the help.
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I wouldnt consider #3 as an option. Thats a little crazy. Maybe new pickups or a onboard pre would help but you bought a vintage reissue. If you changed the electronics it wouldnt be a vintage reissue anymore. I dont know why you are distorting. I suspect thats a problem you are having with your amp. I do know what you mean by somewhat low output though but you are comparing it to a p bass. Every jazz sounds a little thin compared to a p bass. You may just have to get a precision...
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Were you just getting a low output at your gig? It could've been a number of other things, like cable, amp, shielding your bass, etc.
  4. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I would buy a P-bass body from Warmoth, load with the pups, electronics, hardware you want and then take your jazz neck and put it on.
  5. It sounds to me like there is something wrong in the electronics of the bass. I have played plenty of jazz basses and they just don't sound like that (or shouldn't anyway). The problem sounds like there is some kind of poor connection in the bass. I would check that out before you go and buy a new bass.

6. I second that. Should be a bad connection in the electronics or a faulty pickup.
    If there is a problem with a pickup, you can easily exchange one of those with another Fender pickup (f.e. a Custom 60's) and still keep the vintage vibe.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, you could always pop the Warmoth neck on later.
  8. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Check the output jack. Wiggle the cable (the end in the jack) when it's plugged in. Does it get louder.

I had a bass where the jack's position made the connections touch something it wasn't supposed to. The sound was very, very low.

Just a though. :)
  9. I've got a 70's RI with those pickups and they aren't good IMO, I'm going to drop a set of CS 60's pu's in it.
  10. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Yeah its obvious you like the P-bass tone, why imitate when you can have the real thing?

Heck if the Jazz neck is comfortable to you then there is no realy need to get a Warmoth neck unless of course you need a backup bass or something.