Help with my first REAL bass purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by damonjames79, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,
    I have posted a couple of questions already about different basses, but I thought I would throw this out and see what everyones thoughts are as I am now more confused than ever.
    I am ready to purchase my first good quality bass and have about £800 to spend (give or take) and so far the options are a MM Stingray, Lakland Skyline or Fender jazz USA or Highway one.
    I am looking for something versatile so I am tipping the 'ray might be a poor choice but I do love the sound.
    Also would appreciate thoughts on quality/value for money between the Lakland and fender and any other options??
    Thanks for you help guys

2. Which Lakeland? Personally I can't see any of those not being able to do pretty much anything . . .

My choice would be the mia J, but I'm a Fender guy - so cliche I know. :D

Have you played all 3? Did one speak to you more? Really that should be the deciding factor . . . but you'll be ok w/ any one of those

3. jplumansoc

jplumansoc

Mar 15, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    The Skyline will be your most versatile bass from your selection, but if you're loving on the stringray, go with what you love. If possible, try to get your hands on a G&L L-2000, they're also very versatile and you can get a tone somewhat similar to the stringray with its 6 million switches and knobs.

4. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    For me personally, the Stingray would be 3rd place as a do-it-all bass, although players do use them as all-around basses, and they are fine basses for sure. I'm also a Fender man, and history lets us know that the Jazz bass has done it all. But that's me, and my preference between those three fine basses is subjective at at best. Is the Stingray the optimum do-it-all bass for you? Only you will know. I always read that many studio players use Laklands as their go-to bass or one of their go-to basses (seen the vids of David Hungate with his Lakland?), although they may use specific basses for specific things. The Lakland has the ability to do lots of things.

All the advice here on the forum is okay, but it all boils down to personal preference. If the Ray is really speaking to you, and the sound is what you have in mind, I don't think anyone would question you making that your go-to bass. Sound and playability are a very personal thing, and the Ray is a fine instrument worthy of considering. Many other players have made Rays their #1 bass. If I had the dough, I'd have one in my arsenal, a vintage 5 with maple FB (killer sound, IMO). I'd have a Lakland also. But until I buy a lotto ticket, I'll be playing my ramped up Jazz 5 bass as my default electric bass,and my other basses as needed. I use the P bass occasionally, and I have specific use for my SR-506, but overall, the Jazz speaks to me. What speaks to you?

If you can, play all three and find what suits you best. If they all come in under budget, choose the one that "reaches out and shakes hands with you."

Enjoy the quest!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021