Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help With my P - Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeym, Dec 11, 2003.

1. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    Hey guys, i play a Fender Squier Limited Edition P - bass... but what i need to know is, where do you guys rest your thumb? I tried the pickups but those are too far down there for me (i play my bass up higher and with my neck higher in the air than most...) I tried the end of the fretboard, and thats what i'm currently doing... but what do you guys do, and what should i do? Could i get a thumb-rest that sticks on, apposed to the screw in ones?

~mikeym

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Try learning how to play with a floating thumb. Its awkward at first but I got used to it fast. I like using the floating thumb mostly because I like to vary my sound by plucking the string in different areas with respect to the pickup. If you play with your bass too high then your right wrist can suffer from having it at an extreme angle all the time...

3. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    well its not wicked high... its pretty normal actually... its just not like the punk "really low" style... well what i used to do was rest my thumb on the E string and then move it when i have to play the E string... is that a good idea, or a bad habit?

~mikeym

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I use my thumb as a mute above whaever string I'm playing bro, it's all about what's comfortable and what works for you. Sure, my technique isn't perfect, but I'm more than capable of playing anything anyone else can at my skill level. I had a thumb rest on an old POS P-bass copy I had and it helped, but I just couldn't play that way. But there's nothing wrong with what you're doing.

5. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    I use my thumb as a mute above whaever string I'm playing bro, it's all about what's comfortable and what works for you. Sure, my technique isn't perfect, but I'm more than capable of playing anything anyone else can at my skill level. I had a thumb rest on an old POS P-bass copy I had and it helped, but I just couldn't play that way. But there's nothing wrong with what you're doing.

I know that i technically can do anything i want... cause i'm the guy thats playing it... but if its more common to do it one way, and it'll improve my playing style and such i'll learn that way... for example... i'm a drummer for a band... and i learned 2 years back that from the audience my drums sounded like ****... (cause of muting) but from the throne they sounded awesome... well theres nothing wrong with doing what i like, but i learned that other people will notice and that there's a better way... hope that analogy helps what im looking for...

~mikeym :D

6. there is an item called a ramp which allows a thumbrest between neck and pup...
    i think it looks strange but there you are
    a stick on length of material would do the job..
    i float and land wherever is convenient
    if you dont play right on the neck...which is not a good spot all the time
    or on the pup which makes the 'feel' of the fingerstyle plucked notes a bit strange then you have to use the strings or go for the free thumb when useing the E string..
    just practice...a rest ties you down:)

7. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    there is an item called a ramp which allows a thumbrest between neck and pup...

lost me there... sorry i'm a newbie...

~mikeym

8. On 4 strings I rest on the E, on my 5 strings I rest on the B. My thumb floats when it's playing E or B respectively on those basses. This works well because not only does it mute these two strings nicely, it also allows me to play anywhere on the fretboard as hard or soft as I want (because I found that when I float my thumb I can't dig in as much as if I am resting it on something like a pup or string.)

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Opinions are like a$$holes...

Ok, so here goes. I never rest my thumb on a string except to mute the string. Even then I don't put any pressure on the string.

Floating thumb is a great idea, but I'm not totally comfortable with. I do it some so that I can use my thumb as a mute.

Here is what I do. I put my thumb on the pickguard with very little pressure. I just let it touch so that I feel anchored to the instrument. You shouldn't be squeezing with your thumb anyway.

10. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    well... my bass teacher taught me to lay my thumb on the E string, and to move it a little backwards when i'm playing on it. I think its pretty correct

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

You should work on being able to rest your thumb wherever it needs to be for the tune you're playing. Most of the time I pluck right near the bridge but on occasion I play near the neck for a rounder sound. If you get used to resting your thumb in one place, it will limit your ability to be versatile in tone and fit in to many different projects. Spend time being able to move around the body with your thumb. You'll be glad you did

Rob