1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help With My Rig Please?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe79, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Joe79

Joe79

Jul 31, 2007
    Hey guys,

So I recently purchased a new amp and bass. The Bass is an Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray with the 3 band active EQ. The amp is a Genz Benz GBE 750. The cabinet im currently using is an Ashdown 1x15. Im noticing that I am getting a very clicky sound whenever I play with just a tad bit of force. It really gets anoyying because every time I finger a string I get a click. Does anybody know what may be the cause of this? I have brought the bass back to the dealer and had the action raised to try and compensate, and when I tested it out on some little Ampeg as well as another tiny Mesa I didn't get any clicking? So I have eliminated the bass as the problem. Do any of you know if it could be the Amp or the Cabinet? I would like to think it isn't the amp, seeing as how it was quite costly and came very highly recommended. Could it be the cabinet? It is really my temporary cabinet, until I can scrounge the money to buy another Genz Benz cab. Im basically looking to get rid of all of the clicking I can, because it is a real annoiance and pain, especially doing live preformance recording. Also, if there are certain cabinets that you guys would suggest I NOT buy to avoid the clicking noise, it would be greatly appreaciated. I should probably also mention that I play rock and try to emulate the tones of Tim Commerford and Flea and I'm also only looking to buy a Genz Benz Cabinet. Thanks guys.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    First thingis to try your GBE 750 with another, known good bass and cabinet. That will eliminate at least one piece from the equation.

3. One of the most important steps in troubleshooting is isolating "where" the problem is, so eliminate two of the three parts (bass + amp + cab) by replacing each with parts that you know do work.
    Sometimes that's very difficult process but it's still worth the effort. Good luck!

4. Does your cab has a tweeter?

Is it cranked?

If yes it is your problem.

that or you dial in too much treble.

5. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    A few things to try, to find the actual source of the problem:

1) Set ALL EQ knobs flat. That is, Stingray knobs at the centre detent, GBE knobs straight up at noon and Signal Shape switches off.

2) Try the bass and head through another cab.

3) Try the bass into a channel strip on a mixer with headphones. If you don't have access to one, take the XLR DI out from the GBE set to Pre-EQ. Set it to Mic Level and get it into your soundcard's mic jack (pink or red, 1/8"TRS) or set it to Line Level and put it into your soundcard's line jack (blue, 1/8"TRS). This'll require some cables and converters.

6. Joe79

Joe79

Jul 31, 2007
    wow, thanks guys,

The Cab does not have a tweeter, and I have tried the bass with another amp/cab and it sounded amazing. So it isn't the bass. Also yes, the Basses eq is always set flat, and I have used the GBE's eq flat, I never crank the treble more that 12oclock. I usually have to turn down the mids to get the tone I desire tho.