Help with my Sansamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Right, I only got this thing today so I'm still getting to grips with it. How do I set it for a burpy valve type sound? I mean, I keep getting this fuzzy tone, rather than a valvey tone. It's getting close to how I want it, just not perfect.
  2. PatL

Jan 7, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    You could try to put less "drive" and "presence".
  3. I am getting to grips with it. Once i have everything perfect I'll share some of my tones!
  4. Pleased to hear it's arrived!

Try Level and Blend on full, Treble at 10 o'clock and Bass at 2 o'clock. Leave Drive and Presence at 12 o'clock max - maybe even dial 'em back a fraction.

You may remember that I mentioned, before you bought it, how ULTRA sensitive the rotary controls are? Bear this in mind when adjusting - a little really does go a long way. I would tend to compare it, sensitivity-wise, to truss rod adjustment. Less is definitely more!

Good luck. I just KNOW you'll love it once you find YOUR sound in there (which, believe me, you WILL). :) :) :)
  5. I have found some nice tones on it. I decided to use it in the FX loop of my ashdown, rather than going Bass>sansamp>ashdown, because the latter configuration wasn't working too well. The natural tone of the Ashdown(the fairly growly one) is then being sent tothe Sansamp which makes it more grindy and growly. Tis good.
  6. Excellent!!

Be warned though - this is likely to become an obsession. :smug:
  7. Now THAT works. That's the farty burpy sound im after. :bassist:
  8. Hmmm, it isnt working after all. I changed the string on my thru neck spector, and they get more burp and growl. The Sansamp just masks my tone, makes it duller, makes my speaker on my ashdown clip, and is basically pointless. I think I might sell it on.
  9. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    assuming this is the RBI.... I found that the most usable tones were lurking around with the blend on 1/4... over about halfway blend and the mids and character of your bass tends to get mashed through the ultra scooping of mids that the unit does...

I have drive and presence on about half, blend on 1/4, and a fairly flat EQ... if I want more distortion I dial it in on the drive rather than change the blend

I never found a usable sound with the blend up full... it just sounded like clanky unmusical harshness to me :)
  10. It's the BDDI(pedal). I'll see if it works, but if I can't find the tone within the next wek, I am gonna sell it.
  11. No no no no no!! :scowl: :scowl: :scowl:

DON'T do that. You'll only end up buying another, believe me.

I've been using mine for about 3 years now and I'm STILL discovering sounds in there that I haven't heard before. Truly, this is the least "pointless" piece of kit you are EVER likely to find.

Trust me on this. Persevere with it. You'll be glad you did. :) :) :)
  12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Yup. Took me a while to figure that out on my BDDI.
  13. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    if it's any help, Nick, I too was disappointed with my Sansamp (the RBI, the rack mounted version), and it took a while before I got anything I liked out of it... if you keep fiddling tho, you'll probably find something you like
  14. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    NO KIDDING! People that don't like the BDDI/RBI! My RBI is on its way home! You beter be wrong!

15. OK guys, can i ask a big favour? Can you all try to listen to the track Never Again by Nickelback?(i mean, even if you don't like them). If you can, could you then give me and idea of the kind of settings Mike used on that track to get that farty burpy growl? I know it's a big favour, but it's the tone I love, and yes, I want to copy it.
  16. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Nick can you post some sound clips so we can hear how it sounds so far. Maybe you already sound like enver again and your ears just need cleaning :p
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I don't know it, and am unlikely to buy it... but I'm going to hazard a guess at the tone you want.

First things first, take it out of the FX loop and put it in front of the amp where it belongs.

The pedal should have come with a booklet that has some suggested settings. Dial in the tone suggested for Ampeg emulation, wind the "blend" back to around half or less (depends on the bass itself).
  18. Hmmm, but when I put it infront of my amp, it kinda destroys the amps tone, plus makes the speaker clip, so the little ashdown dial becoems useless in telling me how hard im pushing my amp. And you don't have to buy never again, you can lsiten to it on Yahoo launch i think.
  19. Sounds good to me! :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.