help with my signal chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mara, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Mara

Jan 11, 2001

I've been doing some changes with my effects, etc.

I currently have: bass -> SansAmp RBI -> rack compressor/gate/limiter -> poweramp -> cab

I had a ME-50B but got rid of it because it's was bit of a overkill for my effect-needs. I have purchased Boss ODB-3 and Boss CEB-3 pedals instead and I also have a Trace Elliott SMX Dual Copressor pedal and a Boss FS-6 ( lying around.

What I'd like to do is to have the RBI as the foundation of my sound and then be able to switch between the ODB-3 and CEB-3 pedals or maybe use them simultaneously sometimes.

How should I chain these effects with the compressor (used only for evening down the peaks) to be able to do this? Can I use the FS-6 somewhere here or do I need to go for the Boss LS-2? I'm also planning on adding the Boss SYB-5 somewhere in the near future into my setup.

2. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Any suggestions?
  3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

What is the rack mount compressor, and how do you utilize it ATM?

4. I'd suggest:
    Compressor in Effects Loop
    Power amp

You say you want the Comp to even out your peaks, well then you can tweak it right and leave it on all the time. If you want to retain some of your RBI tone with no compression, there's a 50/50 button on the RBI back panel that blends your fx loop with your original signal.

Most pedals don't do so well in an effects loop. Put them before the RBI and you can step one, the other, or both on or off to your hearts content.
  5. Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Is there a reason to put the compressor in the SansAmp effects loop rather than directly in the chain? I am switching some equipment in my setup and am considering the following:

bass (passive pickups) -> para acoustic DI -> dbx 166xl comp -> SansAmp PSA-1 -> power amp.

I could put the comp in the SansAmp effects loop I s'pose, but why not go direct? Direct, my signal could be all balanced XLR cables from the DI onward. Thanks for any thoughts.
  6. I generally prefer comps in the fx loop because they're after the preamp tone controls. I like a fairly honest signal going into the pre, then eq'd to my taste, then comp'd to tame volume spikes. But there are advocates of both ways.

There are some that will comp first, then go through the preamp, comp again, then go to the power amp.