Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with my sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Aug 8, 2001.

1. I have noticed and been told that I have a very thin sound... I play a tenor(tuned up a fourth) Ibanez Roadster 2 through a Ampeg Bass Rocket. I normally have my bass going through a Bass Wah, a Boss Synth pedal, a boss loos station and a volume pedal to the amp. I keep the EQ on my amp is "5" everything and I play over the bridge pickup. I just can't seem to get a big sound. It always seems so thin and it doesnt cut through very much. Could my problem be in the fact that I am running through all those pedals or what? thanks a lot everyone for helpin'.

Nate M

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You could do systematic diagnois;

- Try just your bass and amp at various settings, no pedals. If it doesn't sound "big" then you can reasonably assume you're starting out with a fjundamentally thin sound.

- Inexpensive pedals, like Boss, are notorious for thinning sound, even when they're not engaged/on. That's why a lot of bassists look for units with "true bypass." Your sound isn't filtered through all the pedals guts.

- IME, playing over the bridge gives you a thinner, more treble, sound, except for a Stingray. The strings don't vibrate as much there because the bridge acts as a damper. The elliptical pattern of the vibrating string isn't as big, so there is less "information" for the pickup to "read."

3. Ok, On the pre-amp setting i tend to have the following:

Bass: 8
    Mid: either full up or at 5
    Treble: 6

Then i have the volume on the pre-amp at around 7. That way the Master volume can be set lower.

Just play with it. and play in between the pick ups to balance it out. All you cando is experiment. This is frontline maintence my man! lol

:D

Merls

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I agree with rickbass's aproach, but honestly looking at this list, I would almost guarantee a "thin" sound - almost every component is working towards this! IMO

I think this is a case of something sounding good to you in isolation, but it's just not going to cut it in band situation. People keep saying around here how it's "fun" to mess around with pedals and stuff and keep changing your EQ etc. Well it is until you get the situation where any band just wants a good basic tone and then you can't get it, because you've spent so much time "messing about".

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that nate is guilty of this - I'm just putting this as an example of why you need to be able to get a good basic tone quickly and that what might be great fun in your bedroom gets more serious when you have to please fellow band members and the audience. There seem to be a lot of people here who are more concerned with messing about and having fun, than actually making music - I think that if nate evaluates his situation objectively then he is well on the way to doing the latter! ;)

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Bruce and Rick have spoken truth.
    Abandon ye all daemon pedals
    tuneth down
    playeth not upon the bridge for that is the realm of the guitar
    accept freely that which has been given you and rejoice in the power....of bass

6. Isn't making music supposed to be fun?!

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    No, making MUSIC is not supposed to "be fun".
    It is a long and arduos journey of self exploration and self expression and a constant struggle to learn and acheive. After years of effort you will begin to learn your craft and begin to experience the satisfaction of a hard job well done.

ENTERTAINING is fun. A good joke is far more entertaining than bad music, to a real musician.

Fortunatly most of the public doesn't know good from bad.

I read all thease posts: "My band and I don't have amps, just our instruments and a borrowed drum set. What do we need to play shows?" and I want to cry.

What you need is about five more years of study and practice.

If you don't have the commitment to do that,
    do the world a favor and go tell jokes.

8. I have to admit, composing and nailing a groove with a deep, soulful pocket is not always an easy thing, but is definitely fun!

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    "I have to admit, composing and nailing a groove with a deep, soulful pocket is not always an easy thing, but is definitely fun!"

Obviously, you have done your hard time, payed your dues and know the true meaning of music and the "fun" that goes with it.

Otherwise you wouldn't even know what a groove with a deep soulful pocket was.
    Doing that takes more dicipline than anything. IMHO

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - I think a lot of people have missed the "irony" or humourous intent of my post - presumably the winking smiley was not a big enough clue!!?? :rolleyes: