1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with my studio setup!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nacho-Dread, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Nacho-Dread

Nacho-Dread

Oct 9, 2007
    Hi I was wondering if anyone heard of someone using this setup.
    I´ll be starting my band first EP on May. I don´t have a bass amplifier son I´m planing on the following setup.

Sansamp Bass Driver 3 channel
    From XLR output ---------> direct to the recording console as a direct box
    From 1/4 output ---------> to JCM 900 to get some crunchy and vintage tube sound.

I´ll be mixing the signs aprox in the following percentage
    "Direct Box" 60/65 %
    JCM 900 40/35 %

Can you tell me what you think about? Did anyone ever heard anything like this? Thanks and greetings from Argentina!!

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Yes, it's been done. Just don't get stuck on those percentages. Try every combination available.

3. Nacho-Dread

Nacho-Dread

Oct 9, 2007
    Yeah I won´t use exactly those percentages... it´s just to get an idea that my sansamp line will be more precent thah the one coming from the JCM900... Now can yo tell me any record just to get a reference from the audio?

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
  5. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Combining DI tracks with mic'd amp tracks is one of the more common methods of recording bass. Mind you, it's usually a super-clean DI signal (like a Radial or a Countryman) when you combine it with an amp, but stranger things have been attempted in a studio. Consider rolling the Blend on the Sansamp down to 0, but use your ears. It might sound great the way you normally set it.

6. evergroove

evergroove

Apr 15, 2009
    Evergreen, CO
    The other thing to consider, at mix time, is to watch the phase between the DI and amp tracks. The DI track will be a bit earlier than the microphone from the amp track. There are various ways to deal with this at mix time with one of them being to simply try and line up the waveforms as best as possible in your DAWs editing window. Another option is to make make sure you are monitoring in mono and then nudge one of the tracks forward (or backward) a LITTLE BIT at a time until you get a nice full sound that you like.

Have FUN!

7. Nacho-Dread

Nacho-Dread

Oct 9, 2007
    Yeah what I´m thinking is to add another Sansamp DI, in order to have 2 different channels.
    My regular channel (coming from my sansamp, that I use as an Overdrive and a Distortion) and my distorted tube channel coming from the JCM 900... so I can do the following.

Bass --> My sansamp --> Sansamp DI (from the Studio)
    XLR output --> Recording Console
    1/4 output --> JCM 900 always with a little distortion On.

What do you think about that?

8. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think you're overthinking things. When I go into a session, I bring a bass, DI it, and let the engineer and the producer deal with the rest of it. If I had my way every time, I'd just throw on a low-pass filter set to 5k and a juicy compressor and be done with it. Simple is sometimes best.