1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP WITH MY SVT 4 PRO!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adyinger, Jan 4, 2007.

1. adyinger

adyinger

Sep 26, 2006
    I need some help with my SVT 4. i have had it for about 2.5 years, and within the last 3 months the sound has been cutting out, and then back in. While I am playing full force, the sound will completly cut out, and then come right back full force again. VERY frusterating. I took it into a shop and paid 280 bucks to get it fixed. it worked fine for a couple of months, and now i am having the exact same problem.Ive trouble shot everything. bass is fine, all connections from the bass to the head are fine and all connections from the head to the cabinet are fine. The head just keeps cuttin out! Does this sound familiar to anyone? can anyone help me??? THANKS>

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    First of all, this thread is probably supposed to be in the Amplifier forum. Second, is the head American- or foreign-made? Do you push the volume hard? Are you making sure that the fan vents on the side of the head are left plenty of room for breathing? Have you tried different cables (instrument and speaker), basses, and cabs? Are you making sure not to run into a too-low-of-impediance issue with you cab(s)?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Might get more help in the AMPS FORUM. Moved.:meh:

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It will be US made.... no furrin ones coming in yet.

Is it shutting down, or cutting out? Can be hard to tell which....

The pre out and poweramp in jacks are known offenders as far as cutting out for older units...... more than about 5 or 6 years old. They can be cleaned with contact cleaner, but its hard to do without opening it up.

Newer units we changed the jacks (I made them do it) to ones with better plating so they stay good.

Since it sounds newer, may be cracked solder on those jacks, or elsewhere.

If it is shutting down, make sure fan is running, and not blocked, no gobs of bar lint all over everything inside.

5. Can you explain how this will help him solve the problem?

6. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    We've all heard about Ampeg moving some production overseas, but I don't know that the SVT4 will be included - at least for now. In any case, I don't think any SVT4's have been made anywhere other than USA. If they ever do move production for them, the first ones might have some QC issues but that's just a guess based on past experiences with other companies.

I have mine mounted in a TKL rack case (like SKB) and cut the plastic out under the handles so that it cools better. On the left side (where the fan is and air comes out), the cutout lines up pretty well with the vent holes in the amp. If I didn't do this, the vent would be blocked (1/8" away) and it could overheat. I never had it happen, but why risk it?

7. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet but the OP said he paid $280 to have it fixed.......

WHAT exactly was fixed?

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    sounds like he may have just bought the most expensive can of contact cleaner ever ! I've had my 4 pro since 98, one of the very 1st black face models. It's been a rock for me, I started having some weird volume issues with it in '02, but a new set of pre-amp tubes cured that. And for the record, I beat the crap outta this thing.

9. If I'm not mistaken, if the unit is overheating, it will shut down automatically.

That would make sense in the fact that it cuts out when playing at high volumes.

Have you checked your fan? Is it operating correctly? Also, make sure you have plenty of room for it to cool off. I leave a rack space between amps to get some room for air circulation.

Its probably a heat issue....Also, did that tech tell you what the problem supposedly was the first time he fixed it?

10. I have had similar issues with my old 4 PRO as well. I rarely use it bridged and on some (rare) occasions.
    It has stopped working in the selected channel so I have switched over to opposite channel, usually in a panic on a gig.

Never figured out the conditions that made it fail or what corrected it, just know that when I tried the faulty
    channel again it would be ok again, certainly hasn't really pushed it a lot though.