Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with my truss rod.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by billybo, Jan 21, 2003.

1. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i went to the guitar shop and it said it will cost about 10-15 bucks for them to fix it..is that a good deal?? and if not does anyone know if any websites i can go to that tells me how to fix the neck...my fretboard is bent and that makes the strings high off the fret board...so what should i do..i know it cant be that hard and i dont really wanna pay 15 when i know i can do it myslef...but i jsut dont no how...so..how can i fix it?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yes, that is a good deal. That is what you should do.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Let's go and talk to the nice people in the Setup forum......

Chris A.:rolleyes:

4. Chris gets 3 brownie points for calling us nice... :p

:D:D

Merls

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    dude 15.00 $ is well worth it,if the person is good at adjusting and setting up basses,how is his rep?is he well known?

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Time required to adjust truss rod= 3 minutes.

that figures out to be $300.00 bucks per hour.

Yep, that sounds like a deal to me.

Another option is to insert the right size allen wrench into the truss rod nut and turn it clockwise a quarter of a turn. Let the bass set for a couple of hours and repeat if the strings are still too high. If you go too far the strings will be too close and will buzz on the frets.

Go to the site that JMX suggested to get a good overview of the procedure.

It will turn easier if you let the tension off the strings before tightening.

If it was so complicated, why would the manufacturers send the tool with a new bass?

Pkr2

7. If you don't want to do it yourself, that's a pretty good price. I think the local shops here charge over twice as much. (Assuming you're talking US dollars).

8. yeah well if you ruin your bass $15 bucks wont seem much when you have to spend a hundred to get it fixed, or over a grand to buy a new one if you ruin it and need to replace it. if you've never done it before, go pay 15 bucks and get the guy to show you what he's doing so next time you can do it yourself.

9. Thats more than some prostitutes! Thats it i'm gonna quit my day job of looking for a day job and start adjusting truss rods. :p

Merls

10. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Why do you think I quit being a prostitute? :)

Pkr2

11. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    seems like there is a debate over this subject because of the simplicity of the job,so check this out,truss rod adjustment is more than changing the concave of a neck(bow or lack there of)there is also a slight lateral angle as well,assuming you have a decent bass,and not 99.99 $pawn shop special,the angle slopes with the width of the strings,so judging by the inexperiance of the person asking the question(no dis- respect intended)i think 15.00$ is well worth it,i pay 20.00 for an oil change,is the yo-yo at the insti lube down the street worth 300.00$ hour?hell no!but my car is.see what i'm sayin.take it or leave it,but to me there is nothing better than getting my bass back all fixed up perty from my luthier(bass mechanic)ready to rock after being all sloppy.
    hope this helps.
    adam

12. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Geez, you have totally lost me!

Please explain the"lateral angle" thing and how it applies to truss rod adjustment.

Pkr2

13. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Well?

14. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i did'nt know what the lateral angle was till my teacher told me either,a bass that is set up properly does'nt just mean a straight neck,it's a neck that is in line with the bass,and strings ,its very hard to explain like this,my reacher explained by showing me the neck at different angles,i have only been playing the bass for less than a year,but i do much reading and ask A-LOT of questions,so to make a long story short.the bass neck has a slight tilt to compensate for the string thickness(the strings on a bass are all different thicknesses,and widths)so there is a lateral adjustment as well as a bow adjustment,hope this helps its a little complicated ,so i think 15.00$is not to much to ask,where i live SAM ASH,(the biggest music store in the area)charges around 90.00 for a complete set up,so i guess you are doing pretty well.
    adam

15. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

I don't know who your teacher is, Geez, but he is as full of crap as a xmas turkey! Have him come on the board and I'll tell him for you.

There is no such thing as a lateral neck adjustment on ANY conventional electric bass guitar.

How in the world are you going to adjust a neck through in a lateral direction? For that matter how are you going to adjust a bolt on with a good fitting pocket?

If you have only been playing bass for only a year,I hardly think that qualifies you to give set up advice to anyone. It certainly doesn't qualify you to dispute the advice that someone else offers.

I base my advice on my personal hands on experience for more than 20 years, not what I've been told or read somewhere. That experience includes my own repair shop for a number of those years. I am willing to share any knowledge that I have freely. I think it is unfair for me or anyone else that contributes thier time to the forum to have to defend what they say to someone who, quite frankly, doesn't have any idea what they are talking about.

This is a setup forum! the purpose of it is to offer SOUND advice to those who wish to make thier own adjustments. If you are not one of those people- no problem. I made my living from people like you for a number of years.

Sorry to come off this strongly but your whole attitude has really hit a raw nerve.

Pkr2

16. There's a lot of lateral thinking put into the lateral concept wouldnt you say?

But I dont really understand the whole concept of Lateral Adjustment? Maybe it was poorly explained i do not know. Pkr2 seems to have had the penny drop.. can u enlighten me? ;)

Merls

17. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The whole concept is simply that there is no such adjustment. This is not something that I believe to be correct. I absolutely KNOW that it doesn't exist.

If there is any doubt in anyones mind, do a search in every search engine on the web and find just one place that even mentions such an adjustment.

It irritates me for someone to come on a setup forum and the best advice that they can give is "take it and get it fixed"

We can take that response to the absurd extreme and there is no useful purpose in even having the forum.

By the way what does "penny drop" mean?

Pkr2

18. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    should i bow down to you now or after ?for your info ,i did not tell him to adjust his bass,i told him to see a luthier,and i am a musician.i have been a drummer for 25 years,does that make me a master of all drums?when i talked to my luthier i may have mis-understood him,i unlke you i remain teachable,it is possible to adjust the angle of the neck,just because you dont do it,does.nt mean it cant be done,i dont appreciate you slamming me ,and using my lack of bass time against me,if playing time makes me a know it all nasty person,then i will happily stay a novice,so its ok to dis-agree with someone,we all have different aspects and opinions and skill levels,so remember where you came from,or you will end up going right back,so calm down and keep your snide remarks to yourself MR FENDER,and if you are such a know-it-all,why are you wasting your valuable time busting chops on a bass website,did you drop your gig with the WHO?or quite your day job at the fender plant?

19. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i didnt know what i said would get me cruxcified,i could of mis-understood my teacher,i can admit being wrong,i cant however justify being nasty,i i am sorry i gave questionable advice,i never told anybody anything that would harm there bass,i just validated going to a pro,next time i will keep my opinions to myself and mind my buisness,i didnt know there were so many PRO'S out there waiting to jump all over me,i can admit when i'm wrong,can you?