Help with my Winchester

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Oct 20, 2004.

1. No this is NOT a political discussion about guns. No pro OR anti gun posts will be allowed. Mods, could you monitor this one, please?

I just need some advise with my dad's gun. It's a model 94 Winchester lever action .30-30. It's a great gun, acurate, light, with low recoil. I like it alot. But it jams. For some reason the rim on the base of the shell catches on the edge of the feed slot as you try to ram it into the breech. Not all the time, but enough to be irritating. Has this happened to anyone else?

Any advise or ideas? It's an older gun, not quite an antique but still collectable. I don't want to have to spend a lot of money to fix it. If that's what's needed, though, I guess I can keep off buying that new Mbox that I want.:(

Thanks in advance. And remember, this is not a pro or anti gun thread. This is a gun REPAIR thread.

Rock on
  2. Have you tried different ammo? I had a Ruger .22 that would periodically jam on CCI stuff, would work fine on other brands.

Unfortunately I sold my Model 94 years ago so I can't help you much more, sorry....
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That seems like an odd thing to happen but I'd guess that it wouldn't cost that much to fix. So this happens as you attempt to chamber a round from the magazine tube using the lever? Are you sure when you're loading the rounds into the mag tube that you're pushing that last round ALL the way in? I could see that causing such a jam if it was only partially loaded into the feed slot. A good gunsmith could probably give you a pretty close estimate on cost to fix it by watching the problem occur. Those are great guns...I hunt with a Marlin lever .30-30. Personally I'd like to get one in .45-70 for a feral hog blasting good time. :)

brad cook
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've got a pre 1950's Win 30/30 that was my great grandmothers hunting rifle. I love that gun.

I'm not really understanding where or when it's jamming. Like Brad asked, is it when you work the lever that something is jamming?
    or are you talking about shells catching as you feed them by hand into the tube?
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

From what he's saying this doesn't sound like the kind of jam that woul be caused by ammo variations. I know what you're talking abou though. My friend has a .40 pistol that constantly nosedives a certain model of Remington cartridge at the feed ramp but shoots fine with others.

brad cook
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, since you said it jams when you feed it into the breech, not the magazine, i'm assuming it's when you operate the lever to chamber a could just be that it's an old rifle...i've got one as well, and i had to take it to kenny jarrett who replaced some of the worn out moving receiver components (i can't remember which parts....this was YEARS ago), and it was good to roll...when you chamber rounds over and over again for eyars, the cartridge, in essence polishes all of the components it slides against and wears them out of their proper feeding tolerances, rendering your rifle 'shot' :D
  7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Just to kind of echo what's been said, it sounds like it may need to be taken apart and tightened/looked over thoroughly. Could be the guide isn't doing its job because it's not being engaged. I hunt with two Marlin leverguns (.35 Rem and 30-30) and wouldn't swap 'em for anything. Solid, reliable, simple. A lever action rifle is the P-bass of the firearm world.
  8. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Worn out extractor. It's a $5 part.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    had the same problem with my old AR-15 - good call

10. I don't think it's the extractor. That works just fine. There are two grooves along the sidewalls of the action that the rim of the cartridge slides through, and it jams along that groove, or at least it seems to me thats where it is jamming.

Thanks for the info guys. And yes, it is a wonderful gun.:D

Rock on
  11. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Man, it's hard to tell without looking....The extractor does a lot more than just extract. It also is supposed to hold the casing firmly (but not too firmly) against the breach face as the action cycles. It's a relativly small but high stress, high wear part. It's not uncommon for an extractor to be able to extract but not hold proper alignment. It's possible the the lifter could be worn or out of alignment in some way. Is the bullet getting into the breech at all and the case is jamming or is it not even getting that far?

It's a classic issue with the Colt 1911.
  12. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    man, this is in the wrong forum... ask the same question over at and you will get a more expert opinion.

Also, when was the last time you took the thing apart, cleaned everything, and looked for damaged/worn out parts? I reccomend this first. I know that you can get exploded views online for such a common gun as the one that won the west.

well, good luck with fixing the poor baby!