1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help With Mystery Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by StainlessTerror, Apr 26, 2009.

1. StainlessTerror

StainlessTerror

Apr 2, 2009
    Iowa
    About a month ago I picked up an Ibanez GSR 190 at a local pawn shop as a fixer upper for $100. It came with a set of strings that feel great to play and have great sound; unfortunately I have no idea what kind they are. The G string seems to have been replaced with a different brand, but the original 3's sizing is:
    E-105
    A-80
    D-68

Those should be pretty close, but my micrometer might be a bit off.
    Here are some pics of the strings and red coating.

DSC00591.

DSC00594.

DSC00595.

I'm not sure but I think they are nickel. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ryan

2. mlafrancis

mlafrancis

Jun 26, 2008
    I'm probably wrong, but I had D'Addario strings put on my ibanez, and they had the red fabric stuff on the top and bottom parts of the strings like those do. So maybe D'Addario?

3. D'Addario's have colored ball ends so these arent it, im guessing either Fender or Rotosounds.

4. StainlessTerror

StainlessTerror

Apr 2, 2009
    Iowa
    Rotosound Swing Bass 66's maybe?

Also, are these nickel or stainless do you think?

Thank you so much

5. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    GHS Bass Boomers have red wraps top and bottom.

6. I agree. They look like Boomers. Boomers have a mellow tone (as opposed to bright).

7. GHS bass boomers have BRONZE ball ends and only have red silks at the top of the string not the bottom, so im pretty sure they're not boomers.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Not Boomers, Daddarios, or Rotos.

Fender seems likely, I have a Fender set that looks near identical.

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Nope, those Rotos are dark greyish colour, unlike the OP's.

Unless its an artifact of the OP's pic that makes them look brighter than they should.

Are they rough to the touch, like steels should be?

EDIT: Looking at the last pic, of the headstock, they do look steel grey, so they could be Swing 66's after all.

10. StainlessTerror

StainlessTerror

Apr 2, 2009
    Iowa
    Thanks! After a bit of research I think I have found them with your help the modifier. I believe them to be Rotosound swing bass 66 RS66LD. Check it out http://www.rotosound.com/swing66.html

I think they are definitely it. Input?

11. StainlessTerror

StainlessTerror

Apr 2, 2009
    Iowa
    Very rough :bassist:

12. That was my second guess due to the fact they do look kind of bright in the picture.

13. Rotos do have a reputation for being rough so they might be it after all.

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Its really hard to tell, they do look like Fenders in one pic, and Rotos in another.

So, I just took a quick check of my Roto equipped basses, and my Fender equipped one.

Rotos, have bronze ball ends.

Fender have silver ball ends, as the OP's

But Fender have less red on the nut end of the strings, as the strings get lighter, but Rotos all go to one length from the nut, like to OP's.........

15. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Thats *exactly* how Roto's feel, to me.

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Its definatly between Fender Stainless Steel Rounds and Roto Swing 66's though.

I suggest trying a set of Rotos, they are some of the best steels.

17. StainlessTerror

StainlessTerror

Apr 2, 2009
    Iowa
    hmm. Mine does have silver ends as opposed to bronze. I really wouldn't give a hoot about what strings were on there, but they sound so great to me. Much better than my 5 string with west music brand nickel strings.

Edit: After re-measuring my strings, they are 105, 80, 65. Matches roto but not fender. Confusing.

18. Wait I take that back, the rotos in that thread DO seem to have bronze ends, hmmmm very confusing.