1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with new bass please :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chika, Mar 14, 2013.

1. chika

chika

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi guys,

I'd like to purchase a new bass. The thing is that I'm in this small country in Europe (Serbia) where prices are high and choice is very limited.

I've been playing guitar for some time now, but would like to switch to bass, so I won't be a complete beginner. I will be playing blues, rock, soul and probably a bit of pop as well. Focus will surely be on blues and rock though. Whether it should be Precision or Jazz I don't know either.

I don't expect you to know what I can find in Serbia, but perhaps you can give me some general advice as to which model and brand I should look for in my price range. Ibanez, Yamaha, Schecter... are some of the brands I've seen in shops here or perhaps something else? I'm sure that the prices in Europe are more or less similar. I'd like to spend around 250 EUR (not much more than that). I know that my budget is very limited but it's what I have at this time. :)

Thanks!

2. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I had the 5 string version and the sound was great ..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/schecter-guitar-research-diamond-p-custom-electric-bass-guitar

The pickups are strong and clear the neck is easy to play on and the build quality is top notch.... Great for Blues, Rock, R&B or just about anything....
    A recording of mine:

http://www.visualsoundrecording.com/PhilMusic.html

"Tied To A Woman" & "Time It Comes"

3. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Are you lookin for new exlusively or you might also consider used.
    If you don't mind used ones then might as well try this:
    http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Bass-gitare-22-644-1-grupa.htm

Here's a link of a used Squier J Standard that looks pretty good.
    http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Squier-Jazz-Bass-Standard-5055058-oglas.htm

4. My opinion: At your budget, you won't go wrong with a Yamaha. And yes, consider used instruments; you'll get more for your euros.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

5. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
  6. cica

cica

Sep 18, 2012
    +1

Look at the Yamaha BB424X. It has amazing versatility and build quality. Very underrated.

7. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    +2 I can vouch for Yamaha . It's one of the basses I've always held on to.

8. No doubt, but an RBX series would more likely fit OP's budget. Just sayin'.

9. chika

chika

Mar 14, 2013
  10. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    If it were me, I'd go with the Yamaha BB series basses.

11. Since it'll be pretty much your only bass, just get a Jazz Bass. Those are the be-all, end-all of all-around, cover everything basses. That bass will cover every base (pun intended).

12. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Good choice: it could cover all your needs until you'll be able to afford a Bb424x

I mean: both are true alder bodied basses with the ever effective P/J configuration, except these Rbx's should be ceramic pickups (I definitely can be wrong tho') while I'm pretty sure Bb series sport AlNiCo

Buyin' new, with Rbx270J you can't really go wrong. You're choosin' a classic cosmethic combo too so, even if with a more modern shape than Bb series, you won't look outcast in a blues "environment"

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. hampulator

hampulator

Feb 10, 2012
    Jazz style pups would prob be most versatile,just try and get one with 2 Pick ups(whatever the p-up style so you can roll back n forth.) As far as brand...gotta try em out,everyones gonna yell ya different,they're all pretty descent these days in that price range....try and get a used one and save alot of $$,who cares if its got a scratch or 2 on it?

14. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    So true. Get a good used bass. You can get decent basses at a used price . Even if you bought brand new it's going to get scratched at some time.

15. A lot of good replies .....

If it's going to be the first and only bass (for the time being) that you will own, I would strongly recommend a jazz bass. Will cover a wide range of styles and tones.

Someone else mentioned the Schecter Diamond-P, I'd actually suggest Schecter's Jazz bass — definitely a solid bass.

A few people recommended the Yamaha BB-series basses — really great basses — I still miss mine.

The OP asked about Squier, the newer ones, over the past 6-7 years have been well-made, I've owned a few.

And definitely look into the used market, more bang for your buck! Good luck!

16. For your budget, that's a very good bass that will take you far. P/J pickup configuration is versatile and gives you best of both worlds. IMO, you can feel confident you've made a good decision if you buy that one.

(In my experience, Yamaha doesn't make bad anything. Their worst products are quite good, their best are excellent.)

17. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    you've done well for yourself.

18. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I don´t know what Serbia is like for used (if it is anything like Spain, not much available). If you are looking for new, check out thomann.de , they have pretty good prices on most of the stuff they carry, and will ship all over Europe. Also, musicstore.de is very similar.

(BTW, I have 2x Squiers and am happy with both!)