Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with new bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrasher717, Jun 6, 2003.

1. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I'm putting together a new rig. I've already decided on Avatar B210 and B115. For now, I'm going to power these with a Carvin FET1000 (our sound man has one I can use indefinitely for no cost). I already own a Sansamp DI (stompbox). Can I use this as my preamp or should I buy the RBI? Any other suggestions for other preamps (for around $300)?

Should I buy the 8ohm cabinets and run the amp mono bridged 1000 watts @ 4ohms or buy the 4ohm cabinets and run the amp stereo 500 watts/channel @ 4ohm?

I currently use an SWR Workingman's 15 combo, which I thought was great when I bought it but now I'm terribly underpowered. Our lead guitarist recently bought a 100watt Marshall stack. I think he's trying to compensate for small equipment elsewhere.

2. In your situation, since total sytem power is the same either way, and you're not intending to run a crossover ...

I'd do 4 ohm cabs so your power amp (running stereo, one channel per cab) effectively has a "gain" control for each cabinet.

If you run bridged and parallel the 210 and 115, you cannot balance the two.

My .02