Help with new bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrasher717, Jun 6, 2003.

1. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I'm putting together a new rig. I've already decided on Avatar B210 and B115. For now, I'm going to power these with a Carvin FET1000 (our sound man has one I can use indefinitely for no cost). I already own a Sansamp DI (stompbox). Can I use this as my preamp or should I buy the RBI? Any other suggestions for other preamps (for around $300)?

Should I buy the 8ohm cabinets and run the amp mono bridged 1000 watts @ 4ohms or buy the 4ohm cabinets and run the amp stereo 500 watts/channel @ 4ohm?

I currently use an SWR Workingman's 15 combo, which I thought was great when I bought it but now I'm terribly underpowered. Our lead guitarist recently bought a 100watt Marshall stack. I think he's trying to compensate for small equipment elsewhere.
  2. In your situation, since total sytem power is the same either way, and you're not intending to run a crossover ...

I'd do 4 ohm cabs so your power amp (running stereo, one channel per cab) effectively has a "gain" control for each cabinet.

If you run bridged and parallel the 210 and 115, you cannot balance the two.

My .02