Help with new bottom cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by npbassman, Jun 27, 2002.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    I'm currently playing in a heavy rock band. I'm playing a Modulus Q5 through an Ashdown ABM500, with an Eden 2x10XLT and a middle of the road Ampeg 4x10. The Ampeg is not cutting it (farting and cutting out way before the Eden) so I'm in the market for a new hard hitting bottom cab. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that can be used with overdrive and it has to have major bottom end. I'm considering the Eden D-115XLT to match the top cab. Or, perhaps an SWR Son of Bertha. Would an 18 be too muddy? Or how about the 2x12 by SWR?

Thanks for the input everyone!

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I really like a 210-115 set up.

Why is the Ampeg cutting out though?
    Do you have a phase problem or is it watt-handling?
    Is that a 4ohm 410?
  3. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    An Eden 18 is pretty tight 18" wise. Consider it.
  4. I had an Ampeg 4x10 + 1x18 rig for awhile. Now I use the rig you are considering - Eden 2x10XLT + Eden 1x15XLT. Its much better!

For me, 18's are fine if you want to perform sonic CPR on ppl who are 30 ft away from the stage. But for volume, cutting through, and tone I pretty much hated it. Now the Eden 18 might perform better than the Ampeg stuff, but I still prefer the sound of a 15.

edit: oh yea, for what its worth, my ampeg 4x10 was an overrated piece of turd too. I had the Classic 8ohm 500 watt cab (couple of years old) and theres no way the thing handled 500 watts - I had the same probs you did. The Eden 2x10 is much louder and crisper. anyhow ...... this isnt another bash-Ampeg thread :)

5. why not swap the whole 2x10 + 4x10 set for an 8x10 ? :)
  6. npbassman

Apr 25, 2002
    Neither my back nor my car could handle an 8x10 but I did think about it briefly. :D
  7. npbassman

Apr 25, 2002
    DIN and Zulufunk- That is the cab that I have. Ampeg HE or something like that. It's true rating is probably in the 250 watt range.

Forgot to put my site in there:

My band's site
  8. phowie ! american cars !! [​IMG] [​IMG]

My Made in Japan Suzuki handles an 8x10 perfectly :p :D
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Get you a nice 12' dual voice coil speaker from best buy or something.. Get some cat to make you a nice sealed cabinet with a grill on it... then get an amp with a crossover built inside of it... turn the bass all they up on that amp and there.. the most bass you could ever want... problem solved :)
  10. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Thinking about it, an Eden 8x10, or even better, a Eden 2 4x10 (for transportation issues) would be a better of a cabinet system for indoor venues, enlosed ampitheaters, and medium outdoor shows. 8x10 Edens definetely got the punch and craploads of volume so you WILL be heard.

Oh what the hell, put an Eden 18 next to that 8x10 and THATS the beast you and I and everybody needs. :D
  11. speak for yourself, monkey boy !

I don't want a *PEEP*ing 18" speaker.. bah ! i want my sound to be audible..

better yet.. buy 2 of those 8x10's and get ready to create some nasty punch :D
  12. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    HEY!!!! Who you callin' boy?!?!?!

13. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    AllodoX, you've just inspired me to place that in my signature. Don't worry, I'll put your name in it for legality reasons.:D
  14. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    The Eden D115xlt sounds like a good idea to me.

Or just spare yourself these intermediary cabs and get what you're ultimately going to end up with anyway--Mesa/Boogie.