Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tomanator, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Tomanator

Tomanator

Apr 16, 2005
    hey guys, im new to this forum
    ive read over the sticky regarding wattage and ohms but im still a little unsure, as i've only ever played through combos before
    i was thinking of getting the 400w (@4ohms) hartke head with the 4x10xl cab (400 Watts @ 8 Ohms) and the 1x15xl cab (200 Watts @ 8 Ohms). this rig is at my local shop and the salesman assures me it is fine, but that store has a reputation of being full of ****

anyway, this is where i get confused..
    now if i understand right, with 2 8ohm cabs, the head will be producing 400w... right?
    if thats the case, does the power get split up evenly? (ie 200w to each cab)
    if its only getting 200w to each cab, even the 1x15 would be "underpowered", by that i mean not pushed to its potential?
    my final question (if my assumptions are correct), is the 400w head powerful enough to warrant buying these cabs, or should i get either more wattage on the head or less on the cabs?
    keep in mind i play for a punk/rock group and although we are only playing pub type gigs and a couple of open air shows at the moment, i would like my rig to be able to step up if needed

be gentle, im sure this kinda question gets asked all the time but im really in a bind here.
    i appreciate any help
    cheers

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004

1. Two eight ohm cabs will bring the amp down to a four ohm load.
    2. If the cabinets are of the sameimpedance yes.
    3. Maybe. It depends on your EQ settings and how much the amp is designed to handle.
    4. If you would wish, state a budget and I'm sure many of us could help you with suggestions there (I'm sure everyone will recommend Avatar Cabinets - www.avatarspeakers.com ). Without knowing your budget and how much you're spending on an amp and speakers, it's hard to say what you should be doing. However, you want to buy whatever sounds the best to you that you can afford.

3. Tomanator

Tomanator

Apr 16, 2005
    well im looking at spending no more than 2-2.5k australian for the entire setup

probably around 1k for the amp (maybe a bit more, depending on what i can find and what is needed) and about the same for the cabs

im not stupid enough to pay RRP to anyone cause i know how much they mark up (well around geelong anyway) so that means maybe another couple of hundred

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    IMO for 2,000 - 2,5000 Aussie dollars, you can do a lot better than Hartke. I'm not sure how that converts to American dollars, and the prices of bass gear down there may be unreasonable, but I think you could do better for your money.

Go to your local music shop(s) and play on every amp you can, through all the speaker combinations you can. Play what's below (even well below) your price range, what's in it, and even some of what's out of it (be realistic - you may need to stretch, but don't stretch too far). You may find something better than the Hartke, you may not. Get out there and find out! :bassist:

5. Tomanator

Tomanator

Apr 16, 2005
    well for the aforementioned rig, my local store was asking (with a discount) $2,700. i know thats way too pricey but it gives you a general idea

why do you say i could "do better" than hartke? from all reviews and my experience with one at my last gig i came to the conclusion they were a quality brand
    of course i know dick all about bass amps since ive been playing guitar for the past 6 years :)

problem with all my local shops is they all stock the same stuff, its a long drive to go try anything but laney and peavey, and im not a fan of either of them

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004

My opinion with Hartke is they sound bland. With the right cabinets in a punk band, that may be your thing.

But I still suggest trying out as many companies as you can, the first time I played an Ampeg I almost bought it. Then I tried out some other stuff, and Ampeg just wasn't producing "my sound." You may be experiencing the same thing with Hartke.

7. Tomanator

Tomanator

Apr 16, 2005
    thanks for your input mate, its helped a lot

8. You will not be underpowering those cabs with that head. That combination will work fine for you. If you like how it sounds and the price is right then it is the right rig for you.