help with new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by macduff, Oct 26, 2000.

1. macduff

Oct 25, 2000
    howdy people,
    I am looking to purchase a new rig next year, consisting of a speaker cabinet and a head. The problem is I know nothing about them so since I have a while before i buy a rig, I want to find out as much as I can about them.
    Another thing that sux is that I live in Australia and everything is dearer over here. I am going to buy second hand and i don't have a wad of cash to spend. I don't care what it looks like, the only thing I want from it besides a good sound is is for it to give life to my B string.
    Anyway, any information that you think might be able to help me is much appreciated.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What do you have now for a bass and amp, what kind of music do you play, what sort of gigs do you need it to handle, etc.

3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria

[Edited by Matthias on 10-26-2000 at 08:51 AM]
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't want to be rude, but maybe you should read through some of the older threads first and then ask a little more specific questions.
    To show my good will I collected some links of IMHO interesting threads:

THE most helpful one:

others: (first seven answers are enough ;))

Hope that helps,

5. macduff

Oct 25, 2000
    thanks for the help guys
    I've only been playing for 3 years and I just finished high school so next year I would like to get in a band and start playing some shows, probably just in small pubs and clubs. I've got a crappy peavey 100 watt thing that is OK for practicing in my room, but would be pretty hopeless in a live situation (we all gott start somewhere)
    I read most of those threads and although I got some good information, some of it went over my head and the best rigs are way out of my price range.
    So what i'm looking for is something that sounds good, is reasonable in price and something I can build on (like get another cabinet or something). I guess the best thing would be for me to get my ass out there and start playing some rigs to see what I like but any further help would be appreciated.
    I hope this has narrowed it down a bit.......