1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with new speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Joe Easley, Feb 18, 2016.

1. I have a used Eden 2x10 cab that I'm running with a 500 watt Orange Bass Terror.

I mention that it's used because I can't attest to the abuse it's had in the past, but I feel like it's time to replace the speakers.

It seems like I can't drive it like I'd like with the clarity I want.

What speakers should I get so I can play it with better clarity and less breakup in the tone?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What does your EQ look like? How are you setting the gain on the Orange? They are famous for dirt, break up and outright distortion, right?

Bass_Pounder likes this.

3. I'm setting the gain fairly low, around 9-10:00 , and my eq is usually set around 12 across the board. I play with active pickups and fine tune from the bass.

At low volumes, like at home practicing, it's perfect.

When I push the volume a bit it gets a little too driven sounding, which is to be expected, but it sounds like it's coming from the speakers since the only thing that changes is the volume.

I'm thinking with better speakers I could push it a little harder volume-wise without the fuzziness.

4. Is the cab new to you? Has it ever sounded like you wanted?

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Try the head with a different more capable cab at a music store or a friends—something like a goliath, eden, peavey or ampeg 410. If you still get the distortion, it is likely the baked-in Orange sound you are bumping into.

If it is loud and clean, consider adding a second goliath Jr. of the same vintage and stack them vertically. It will be louder than a similar vintage goliath 410.

6. Joe, replacing the drivers in an existing cabinet always ends up in a crap shoot. you may be lucky and it’ll sound glorious but much more likely it’ll sound worse than with the original drivers.

I use the 2x10 format, Acme, but I wouldn’t even consider trying to play a gig with just one. Always a pair in a vertical stack, a vertical 4x10.