1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with noise coming out of my Aguilar DB659 pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jam119, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Jam119

Jam119 Supporting Member

I recently bought a used DB659 and the tone sounds great but I've noticed a slight hiss. It goes away when I turn the first stage volume down abut when I turn the master down, it increase a bit in volume. The ground lift on the unit doesn't help... I have hum frees on my rack gear as well. has anyone had a similar problem that you've solved before I de-rack it an hike it in to my tech? Could it possibly be a microphonic tube about to go up?

Thanks in advance.

2. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I'd start with the tubes.

It's easy enough to get a couple of new 12AX7's to put in there...

3. Jam119

Jam119 Supporting Member

So I narrowed it down to the cables from the pre to the power amp... I tried all sorts from pro co to monster to radio shacks I had stashed as a test... Even george Ls... The all added differnent amounts of hiss. The best result I got with lowest noise was running my Monster Bass 30' cable - of course I won't stick to that length. Now that I know that's a factor, can anyone tell me if another factor might be that I have the pre stacked right on top on the stewart power amp? Would it be better to leave a space or two between them?

4. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    That's not a problem.

The preamp is designed to sit on top of an amp.

I had my 659 on top a Stewart amp for years.

No problems of any sort...