Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with notes. very confused?!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bassopotomus_2, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Hey.

I am very confused on what bassists mean when they say "eighth note" and "quarter note" ect.

im a 3 month newbie, so sorry if i sound stupid :D

could you please just give me a list and small descriptions of what all the "notes" mean.

thanx guys ( and u beautiful gals :p)

Jase :cool:

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, I'll have ago...

Eighth notes, quarter notes, and so on are all to indicate how long a note should last. Music is split up into different "bars", which are measures of time. In 4/4 time, probably the most common time "signature" in rock and popular music, every bar has four beats.

Using 4/4 time, this is a list of some of the different notes:

• Whole note - this is a note that lasts for the entire bar.
    • Half note - There are two half notes in a bar, normally. Imagine it like one and TWO and three and FOUR.
    • Quarter note - Four notes in each bar, or one on every beat. (ONE and TWO and THREE and FOUR)
    • Eighth notes - Eight in a bar, or two for every beat.
    • Sixteenth notes - Four notes for each beat.

And it goes on for 32nd notes, 64th notes, etc.

This might not be a very good explanation (in fact, I'm sure it isn't), but hopefully it might be of some use to you.

3. no actually, it was a pretty damn good explanation :D.

well it helped me out a bunch and i think i fully understand.

thanx alot dude

jase :cool:

4. Great post, informative, yet compact! woohoo! :D