Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by loungeact33, Feb 10, 2002.

1. loungeact33

loungeact33

Feb 10, 2002
    Culpeper VA
    hey all, i just singed up and im new to the boards. I have a problem with my standard p-bass ive had for a year. The problem is with my A string and the problem is in the nut. Im wondering what I can do to fix this, or if I have to go and get a new nut. If I have to get a new nut where do I go to get it? Thanx for lookin at this!

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What is the problem with your nut and your A string, specifically?

3. Welcome to the dark side ( a.k.a. talkbass.com :D )

this post actually belongs in the " setup " forum..

but hey ok.. uhm.. what exactly is the problem with the nut ? is the dent too wide ?
    nuts can be bought at worth-mentioning-musicstores, and at www.warmoth.com :D

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    He may be new, but he knows about "the bump" already!

:D :D

5. tell us what the problem IS.

6. loungeact33

loungeact33

Feb 10, 2002
    Culpeper VA
    the a string gives an annoying mettalic vibration when i pick it, sorry i forgot to say the problem lol

7. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    Did anyone else chuckle when they saw the thread title? Or am I the only one?

Hehe... help with nut...

I'm pathetic. Sorry.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, this thread belongs in Setup.

Moved.

9. does it sound like it's buzzing against the frets? does it only do it when you play the open string?

to me it sounds like you need to raise the saddle for that string. the saddles are the things on the bridge that hold the strings up. you'll need a very small allen wrench to do this.

10. loungeact33

loungeact33

Feb 10, 2002
    Culpeper VA
    hey hey hey, i fixed the problem, the a string depression on the nut was too wide, so I filled it in with some plastic and such, thx for help all :)

11. heheh.. i had the same problem with my yamaha.. the strings i put on it were thinner than the factory strings.. it had a hissing sound when you picked, but didn't have it with fingerstyle..

put a little piece of hard rubber between the strings and the nut.. sounds really warm now.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You can also raise the nut slots by carefully adding a mixture of superglue and baking soda.

13. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have used epoxy. You just need to build a tape dam one each side of the slot, let it harden and then refile it:D