Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with OC-2 please...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tecx, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I just borowed a OC-2 from a good friend... And After playing with it for a while, and playing it with my other pedals - it is now making a farting noise in on the E, and A strings - especialy in the higher register... I know its not my amp, or the other effects... Through experimentation it is comming from the pedal, mind you its only when I dig in. My pups are passive, but they are hot. Is it posable I am just over loading the pedal, or did my ShinEi Fuzz possably damadge it (I put it before it in my chain...)?..

Anyone else have problems with theres?..

thanks in advance

Alex

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    By farting, do you mean, glitching? If so, that's perfectly normal. I've never been able to clip an OC2, even with superhot basses. Did you change the battery?

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The levels on your distortion may be too hot coming into the OC-2, if it's the first in line. I've never clipped an OC-2, either.

4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    No its clipping, not glitching... And it isn't noticble when I have the fuzz on... when the pedal is all by itself and when I play past the 12th fret on the e-a strings I have to play very lightly... otherwise it clips... Oh I also use a power suply - not a battery :(

yarrrrggg...

Alex

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's really weird. Sell your OC-2 and get an EBS Octa-bass.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I know its the outpuit of my bass, when I turn down the volume it cleans up when I dig in... damnit... my barts are REALLY hot through....

Alex

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I lowered my pups, and I can dig in real hard - no clipping... Wierd eh?.. I remeber my luthier telling me that my barts where like 17 ohms, which is really hot - plus I had them quite high up... But since I have never used a pedal such as the oc-2 before (internal sounds), I havn;t had a problem... If someone out there wouldn't mind trying to clip there oc-2 by putting a hot signal through it I would be ever so apriciative - just so I know I am not crazy and or my gear is not broken...

cheers

Alex

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Interesting. Having your pickups really high isn't really good for your tone; perhaps the pickups themselves or your internal preamp was clipping, and the OC2 may have just made that more apparent. Who knows? As long as it works, it's all good.

I still recommend the EBS though. Awesome!

9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well my bass is passive, and I just always used to set my pups high... Why is it bad?.. Too much movment?..

Alex

ps. thanks B.T.A.

10. I think the problem is also you don't have a Q-tron... :ninja:

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Yarrrg... I am working on it... WORKING... I want that bastard... I didn't spend any money on the oc-2 just so you know, my friend paul lent it to me indefinetly...

Alex

:bag:

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Ok, your bass is passive. It's still possible to distort the pickups, however it's unlikely.

Having your pickups too high can cause intonation problems and unnatural string movement. The magnetic field generated by the pickups affects the way the strings vibrate; they will have a more eliptical movement instead of a round movement (it's like how gravity affects planetary motion, in a way). When the magnetic field is too high, it can cause the harmonics of the note to be off-kilter, making the notes sound weird.

There's a more exact answer somewhere in Setup, I believe, but don't quote me on that.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is impossible.
    Friends don't sell you OC-2. :)
    It was never made for bass in the first place.
    The OC-3 is much nicer.

14. Of course, this topic has been played out dozens of times b4 on TB but that is the nature of this place so no matter. The OC-2 has the _warmest_ tone of any octave box out there save the old 'Tron maybe. The EBS tracks wonderfully but is chilly and sterile. But.... the best pedal out there currently is by far the Digitech bass synth wah which retains the OC-2's warmth AND tracks down to my B-string. A side by side with both my OC-2 and past EBS confirmed this. A bargain IMO..we'll see how this new Boss holds up.