1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with octave pedal please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nofretz, Jul 7, 2016.

1. nofretz

nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    I have a BOSS OC-2 from the 80s. It's really great, but the effect begins to fizzle out on long notes (even with full gain going in). Is this a common issue with this unit?

Also, can anyone tell me if the Micro POG does the same thing? Or what pedal for sure doesn't. I need an octaver for ballads.

Thanks.

2. Dilbert

Dilbert

Nov 20, 2012
    Northampton, U.K
    Yeh that's normal for an OC2 (or any analog octaver to varying degrees) It's part of its beauty tho, you have to learn to 'play' it.
    The Micro POG however is digital and tracks flawlessly but youll not have the same weight behind the notes like the OC2 gives you, and they have a slight annoying latency. Some people describe the POGs as sounding weedy and sterile and I can't disagree totally. Saying that though, I had great results with one sticking some dirt after it but ultimately stuck with my OC2

J.Wolf likes this.
  3. nofretz

nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    Thanks. I've used the OC-2 for over 10 years now. This is the first time I've noticed the long note/phase out thing. It's amazing for everything else though! I've also tried a Micro Pog at a guitar store and loved it. I just didn't know I needed to be checking for this long note thing. I was too busy "soloing" :)

Thanks again for the info. Micro Pog it is!

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Did you try putting some compression in front of your OC-2 to give it a higher consistent level to work with for longer? I'm guessing once the level drops below a certain threshold that the sample/hold circuit disengages and waits for the next note. Some compression should help with that since you can get near infinite sustain with the right compressor settings and boost the signal as much as you need to.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  5. nofretz

nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    That's a good idea, but I don't have a compressor. I'm open for suggestions there, but I'm not a pedal enthusiast. I try to stay below the $150 mark if I have to buy a pedal. Maybe that's why I'm not an enthusiast ha. I know there are some really great products out there. Aguilar TLC? EBS? MarkBass? What's the bees knees on talkbass for compressor pedals these days?

6. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Need more sustain? Try an Ebow. It's probably not as elegant a solution as a compressor but it's what I do with my OC2 to get long sustained octave sounds. Sounds gorgeous on a fretless.

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  7. nofretz

nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    Wow I never thought of that! Sounds cool though.

8. Dilbert

Dilbert

Nov 20, 2012
    Northampton, U.K
    Pigtronix Philosophers Tone gives hella crazy sustain

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I have a Micro POG on my board and am very happy with it.
    The MXR unit is worth a look as well.

10. Micro pog does track better but it's octave down just isn't the same. The oc-2 is popular for good reason. I would think most bass players like pogs specifically for the octave up.

11. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    Don't have an OC2 but the octaver in my mo' bass is analog. What I've found is the more "bass" you put in the octaver the more better sustain you get. Think this is the only time I boost low :D

nofretz likes this.
  12. AngelsBassBall

AngelsBassBall Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2011
    North Carolina
    I use a Digitech Bass Whammy which tracks extremely well and offers a ton of pitch options. Only drawback is a large footprint and a dedicated power supply to avoid hum, other than that: awesome!

13. nofretz

nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    I'm not looking to replace my OC-2. I just another octaver for longer notes.

14. nofretz

nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    I will post my conclusion here after I try a few of these suggestions. Thanks to all of you for your input!

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'm not big on pedals either. But I like the Keeley Bassist because it's dirt simple to operate and is as sonically transparent as they come. No coloration at all to my ears - which is not to everyone's taste.

There's two schools of thought on compressors. Some people just want them do their job and not do anything to your tone. Others are looking for some "character" enhancement and coloration, and see their comp-stomp more like a bona fide effect. Neither camp is more correct. It's just what you prefer.

The Keeley is a little pricey and runs $199 new unless you catch it when Keeley occasionally knocks $20 off. The MXR Studio is also good. But it's only about $10 less. My experience with compressors (and I must have tried between 20 and 30 before I finally bought mine) is you don't ever get more than you pay for when it comes to a comp pedal, although you can get less if you're not careful. Cheap compressors sound cheap and throw a lot of unwanted noise into your signal. Quality units are clean and only do as they're told.

Visit ovnilab.com for the mother lode of all compressor reviews. Lots of rock solid info to be found there to help you make an informed choice. Highly recommended.

nofretz likes this.
  16. nofretz

nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    Wow great info. Much appreciated!

17. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Morro Bay, CA
    There's a Keeley Bassist for $130 on the TB classified right now.

18. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I have had the OC-2 for years and just discovered something about it about a week ago.
    For the the first time, I used it with my little old Harmony short scale bass. I have never heard the pedal sound any better! When used with my Fender P or J, it's sounds good. But it has the usual tracking issues and it doesn't really do well below the lowest D note on a 4 string.
    With the short scale bass, it tracks really well. It sustains very,very well. And I can actually hit the low G on the E string and it plays great.
    IM not sure if it has to do with the scale of the bass, or the older pickups. If anyone else has a short scale and an OC-2, give it a go and please report back.
    This little old Harmony bass is a match made in heaven for this pedal.

19. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    I think the OC2, like all analog octavers, tracks better when the fundamental is strongest. You can try using the neck pickup (if your bass has one), playing higher up on the fingerboard, and plucking or picking closer to the fingerboard. That all helps with long notes on my OC2.

20. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    The Octabvre is a great modern octaver.

Planespotter likes this.