1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with Octave Pedal Tracking

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jordanafneil, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Jordanafneil

Jordanafneil

Aug 8, 2017
    Hi Guys.

I was wondering if anybody knew how to get my octave pedal to track low notes when playing chords. It works well ok on bass but I am trying to get it to work with my guitar also. I am using a fishman rare earth humbucker -> Boss CS-3 compressor -> MXR 10 Band EQ (to cut high notes from the signal to allow for better tracking) -> POG octave generator (with dry and octave up off). I am trying to achieve a clean bass sound on the bottom strings of my guitar that will work when strumming chords. My second guitar pickup is used for the guitar sound which I mix with the bass channel.
    Any advice?

2. Jordanafneil

Jordanafneil

Aug 8, 2017
    I have seen it done by this band but I cant tell what pedal comes after his compressor and before the octave generator

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    It's not easy to get even a digital polyphonic octave to track low notes on a chord. The key is definitely technique - you need to make it so sympathetic resonances are as muted as possible. And the closer your chords are to arpeggios, the better it will sound.

4. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    What exactly is the issue? I've never had an issue with tracking on my POG, regardless of what I put through it. Power chords on low E on bass, barre chords on guitar, my iPod, etc.

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Get a Bass Whammy, you should be good. But yeah, a POG shouldn't be giving you that many issues even with chords. However, you have to think about what you're doing. You're feeding more than one note into a pedal that matches said note(s) with octaves. Most the time more than one. So if you're having issues with a POG, you may want to look at your technique. Not to say it's bad at all. But octaves give all of us trouble like that from time to time. You need to mess with it sometimes in order to learn how it responds to your playing.

But I know I can play chords on my BWhammy with it set to "CHORDS" and it tracks well enough.