Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with OD suggestion from reference clip.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Jul 13, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Hey guys I'm trying to decide on a pedal unit for overdrive for the first time. I used to use an SWR IOD in the past, adn then an ampeg svp-pro so i never bothered to get pedal OD, and now im seeing the want to be able to switch it on and off within a song, along with the fact that i switched to an aggie db659 that only breaks up if ai crank it, with too much volume change

i put up some clips from a song that has the effect i'm trying to get.

it sounds like the same crunch from a Sansamp BDDI, but Im wondering if there are otehr suggestions you guys have that might be closer. My rig is in my sig for those who want to know. I also have a Boss me-8B, and it doesnt do anything half-decent in terms of overdrive, only good at fuzz. I like that raspyness thats added to the top in the wav files:

here ya go:

first clip
    second clip

the first file is about 1 meg
    second is about .7 rounded up

you can hear it in the mix for the first clip, and its switched off at the very end of the clip

the second one has it soloed starting around 5 seconds it becomes obvious and is easier to hear
    and for anyone who wants to know its Chris Tomlin's live version of Not To Us at passion one day (the 2nd one day heh)

can a sparkle drive do that sound also?

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hang on the clips are bad quality...redoing them right now

edit: 4:30 pm EST ok they should be working now

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    Dang , use a RBI

A belgian artist's bassis I know is using sansamp psa1 for his OD tones, its the trademark of tech21

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    an rbi would not be a pedal.

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    SABDDI

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    im not sure.. it doesnt sound like a very gritty OD.. the ibanez PD7 can make pounding bass sounds similar to that but its a lot noisier.

7. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    a PD7 huh? i keep hearing favorable comments on that little guy, even though peple say its noisy. that may be the ticket! i kinda like that not-smooth raspy-ness that stays on top. thanks

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    there are certainly better overdrives.. the good thing about the pd7 is the low low price. if its wrong, change it.

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    yep, right now im trying to see if i should try out the pd7, spring for a sparkle drive, or just go ahead and be anothed sansamp bddi owner.

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    there is no shame in any of those options. the sparkle drive is based on a tubescreamer sound but carries the bass signal nicely (so ive heard), and we all know the bddi is a worthwhile piece of machinery.

11. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    hey dude, Chris Tomlin-Not to US, awesome song

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    it looks like im gonna jsut go ahead and buy a sansamp bddi. i was thinking about it, and even though yo ucan barely hear it on my clips, there is a big difference in tone when the effect is switched off, the mids come back ,and its more of a round, full tone. i'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that it might be from the trademark sansamp "mid-suck" and i think i like it, especially since the experience users seem to say that you can dial mids in anyways with some know-how.

with time i'm starting to wonder if an svt-ish OD pedal and stomp box compressor is all i really need. blah and i just swtiched from single pedals to a multieffects, oh boy..... when does it end. haha

oh and thanks for everyone's help, i really appreciate it.

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    when does it end? it doesnt end.. welcome to Guitar Acquisition Syndrome :)

i dont own a bddi but i SHOULD.. its the most tried and tested pedal in this forum. its also a profession quality setup, something you cant say for the PD7, and ultimately its tone will speak for itself. good luck.