Help with older Spector on-board preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basstrader, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Hey I got a stellar deal on a preamp out of an older spector, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me to figure out where exactly it came from.

It's a vol-vol-bass treble layout, 9v, on a large cavity shaped circuit board. it has a cardboard cover on the solder side same shape as the circuit board and there is a little "SD" logo on it. There is one dual op amp on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, and stay low,

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    it sounds like the preamp that came out of my ns-2a. Dunno sd probably means seymour duncan. Mine was made by emg sorta though. provide a picture?
  3. I'm trying to get a picture up . . .
  4. My thought on the logo was "Spector Design" ???

Not that it matters, but I suppose an American made one would be worth more.

Why doesn't anyone use the vol-vol-bass-treble layout anymore? (ok, jazz bass doesn't count)

5. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

That's the preamp that Spector used in the Korean NS2A and NS2B basses during the Kramer era, and they were also found in the Kramer active basses from that whole pointy headstock era as well. I have one kicking around here too, they are actually pretty decent preamps. I just took mine out of the the bass that it came in so there was consistency in all my basses as far as output, the Aguilar OBP-1's (18V) I am using in all my basses are much hotter, even when flat.
  6. H-man, thanks for the scoop. Now I just need to find a project for it.

Actually I was going to sell it, but I may just keep it around for a fretless project I'm working on. At the rate I'm going it will be done around 2012 or so. I check back in with you then.:rolleyes::rolleyes: