1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP with onboard Preamp for active pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by canusaybass, Aug 13, 2017.

1. I've acquired a 6 string bass that has 2 "Bass Line6" pups which I believe are active (???) It had a an STC-3 pre that has died (?) looks like they squashed it into the cavity and bent some of the capacitors (?)
    I intend to purchase a pre-wired preamp... do I need a pre-wired set with specially sized pots for the active pups?
    What limitations do I have since the pickups are active?
    Any suggestions on a good budget friendly preamp?
    Thanks!!!
    Ed

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. Choose any preamp, and put in 25k, 50k, or 100k volume and blend pots.

3. Thanks Line6man... Do you know of any companies that offer this option in a pre-wired set?

4. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    Many do, and EMG has their solderless connector system with all pots and connectors included with their preamps/pickups when you buy them. Very easy to install if you aren't the best with a soldering iron.

5. Any number of businesses offer prewiring service. You could start by checking out BestBassGear. As I recall, Brian will prewire whatever you want, if you pay for the service.

6. I appreciate the tip... Thank you!

7. As always you're a great help... Thanks!

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Make sure your pickups are active first. Basslines generally are not active.

9. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Hakko solder station is $80.
    Having reliable heat you can set makes soldering way easier than using a cheap soldering iron.

Solder wick and a solder sucker are inexpensive.

I have 2 buddies that own Hakkos, and it's an excuse to go over there and interrupt their kids nap time on the weekends.

I have an STC-3p in one of my basses, I've fixed a k-haz, and fixed a couple of MEC preamps in the course of 6 months. I'm not paying someone to burn time when I can stare at a diagram myself. When I want to make changes I'll make them myself.

If you must change the preamp, verify that it's dead.
    If the pots are good why redo basically the same setup?

You could repurpose the push pull volume to passive.
    It has a stacked bass and treble.
    There's a blend pot and a mid.

You would cut in the new preamp into the existing circuit.
    Get a decent wire stripper and go at the harnesses.

The grounds are already set, jack is wired in, battery is in.
    Pickup hots are in, pickup grounds are in.
    Only thing my need to do is cut the battery hot, blob it, shrink tube to new preamp.

Later on you may want to do more work and you'll have the tools + know how for the job.