1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmu, May 26, 2004.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Hi! I have an 1983 p-bass. Anyways, I am happy with the acoustic tone of the bass, and the fretwork etc., but the electric sound doesn't have the punch that I want, and the low mids that I so desire...

Any recommendations? I was thinking of getting a new p/u...

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If the acoustic tone is good than there is still hope for achieving a good tone. New pickups would be smart.

3. What kind of music do you play? The tone you need will determine the pickup that'll work best for you.

I play traditional blues and the occasional jobbing gig playing classic rock and I have a Fender "Original '62" in my P-clone that I love.

4. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I play art rock, with alt rock/punk elements. With and without a pick...

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have heard the Bart 8S has tons of low mids. Also heard the Fralin P rocks the house, its expensive though at $120.

6. make sure the pickup height is appropriate. when i first got my p, the upper pickup was lower than the bottom one. the lower notes didn't come thru as well. so i raised the upper pickup - problem solved.

7. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    yes, I did adjust pickup height... so, you think the bart. I don't think I really want to go active. At the same time, I would like something punchy, rich, and musical sounding.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It does, i have it in my Godin, along with a bartolini jazz. great pickup.edit; the 8s isnt active

9. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    try doing a tone/volume bypass- opens up the highs and lows of the pickup you already have.

dimarzio sells pots that have push/pull switches for about $10, so you can experiment with it as/is and with it bypassed.

you could also consider a dimarzio model P pickup (tons of low mids) or duncan quarter pounder pickup (i only like this when bypassed- lots of musical highs). i love both of those.

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I have heard good things about the quarter pounder... but does it have the low-mid growl?

11. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I have heard though, that the Bart has a weaker output... is this true?

12. Henko

Henko

Oct 15, 2002
    Sweden
    I recommend the Seymour Duncan SPB-1. Cutting but vintage highs. Responds very good to different playing techniques (picking, slapping, fingerstyle). I love it.

13. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    A little off topic, but a guy at GC told me a while back that the pickup height on P basses is set to achieve a more even tone. He said that quality control or something rather takes care of it.

If this is the case, wouldn't raising or lowering the pup make things worse :confused:

14. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    i used to own a 83 pbass and i had the same problem... i think fender didn't do great things in that period. I swapped mine with a jazz, and bought a '78 pbass for (500 €) less than the 83 and it sounded great!