Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmu, May 26, 2004.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Hi! I have an 1983 p-bass. Anyways, I am happy with the acoustic tone of the bass, and the fretwork etc., but the electric sound doesn't have the punch that I want, and the low mids that I so desire...

Any recommendations? I was thinking of getting a new p/u...

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If the acoustic tone is good than there is still hope for achieving a good tone. New pickups would be smart.

3. What kind of music do you play? The tone you need will determine the pickup that'll work best for you.

I play traditional blues and the occasional jobbing gig playing classic rock and I have a Fender "Original '62" in my P-clone that I love.

4. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I play art rock, with alt rock/punk elements. With and without a pick...

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have heard the Bart 8S has tons of low mids. Also heard the Fralin P rocks the house, its expensive though at $120.

6. make sure the pickup height is appropriate. when i first got my p, the upper pickup was lower than the bottom one. the lower notes didn't come thru as well. so i raised the upper pickup - problem solved.

7. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    yes, I did adjust pickup height... so, you think the bart. I don't think I really want to go active. At the same time, I would like something punchy, rich, and musical sounding.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It does, i have it in my Godin, along with a bartolini jazz. great pickup.edit; the 8s isnt active

9. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    try doing a tone/volume bypass- opens up the highs and lows of the pickup you already have.

dimarzio sells pots that have push/pull switches for about $10, so you can experiment with it as/is and with it bypassed.

you could also consider a dimarzio model P pickup (tons of low mids) or duncan quarter pounder pickup (i only like this when bypassed- lots of musical highs). i love both of those.

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I have heard good things about the quarter pounder... but does it have the low-mid growl?

11. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I have heard though, that the Bart has a weaker output... is this true?

12. Henko

Henko

Oct 15, 2002
    Sweden
    I recommend the Seymour Duncan SPB-1. Cutting but vintage highs. Responds very good to different playing techniques (picking, slapping, fingerstyle). I love it.

13. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    A little off topic, but a guy at GC told me a while back that the pickup height on P basses is set to achieve a more even tone. He said that quality control or something rather takes care of it.

If this is the case, wouldn't raising or lowering the pup make things worse :confused:

14. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    i used to own a 83 pbass and i had the same problem... i think fender didn't do great things in that period. I swapped mine with a jazz, and bought a '78 pbass for (500 €) less than the 83 and it sounded great!