Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with p/u 's differin vol. on D string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rodl2005, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Can anyone shed some lite on this. I bought a MIJ Fender Jazz & its lovely all over except the D string is quieter than all the rest. I've touched the strings on the pole pieces & all seem same vol. I've not tried new strings yet but acoustically they all sound great & of similar vol. Just plugged in the D is substantially quieter. Help PLEASE. Thanks Rod

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Have you adjusted the height on the treble side yet? you could bring that side of the pickup a little closer.

3. Thanx for your reply. AS U can prob. see from my locale- I'm in Tas(downunder Downunder!) & it's good to hear from U guys & get different views rather than just my local ones. BUT Tried that, & anyway the G string is good & loud like the E & A. its just the D str. Do U know whether adjusting height of string at bridge is viable? I s'pose I'd lower it(closer to the P/U to get a louder sound.) I did try this but it seemed to make little difference. Any more Ideas Anyone! I'd never owned a Fender bass B4 & its lovely in all other aspects so I wanna get this righted. Just hope I don't have to buy new p/u's. Cheers Rod

4. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    i had the same problem on my fender, the bridge jazz pickup i put on it was quiet on the A string, but the dimarzio pickups have cool little pole pieces you can adjust individually with an allan wrentch and that took care of it. also just try adjusting the height of your pickups to make them closer to the strings, you can always just slightly roll of the highs and lows on your amp to compensate.

5. OK Will try that again, but with a bit more purpose! Also I think I'll try some different strings. I was hoping not to have to get new p/u's, but If I do, the DiMarzio's are good, Huh? I was gonna prob. just get set of new fender jazz p/u's if neccesary but which ones do some of you guys reccomend?

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You may want to check out some different strings. What kind are you using right now?

7. Yeah I might just try some diff. strings. Even tho they all sound fine acoustically(the D is fine this way) but I just thought That if it is a p/u prob. the individual Vol.pots on the jazz bass should tell me a story!!!!! Duh! I must admit in the 2 weeks I've had this GTR I've done about 4 gigs w/ it & didn't notice that the D sting was any diff. (in vol-i.e. it was still quieter than all other strings) with either p/up. SO it just may be a string! Otherwise-surely- the neck p/u would be OK or vice-versa? this is all IMHO of course & even tho I've been gigging for $$$ since I was 15(42yrs old now) I've never (till the last few yrs) been into the tech side o' things- serves me right HUH? All I DID know was that I loved Valve sounds more than s.state. I started w/ valve & until I bought a Ampeg last yr was never into anything but valves! BUT I digress- Any other suggestions-anyone? All will help- just as one above triggered my thoughts above! Thanx ROD

8. TYPICAL!! Thanx to Trevorus, I was gonna try some new strings, I had tried everything else! I did & it fixed it! AMAZIN' I'd never had a 'dead' string B4- but it sounded OK unplugged!-goes 2 show U never can tell SH*T happens! Thanx again guys. Rod